Care for Earphones?
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dsdeiz

Head-Fier
Hi all,

So I recently broke my ATH-CKS77X. I think the cable is somewhat damaged. It's my all-around earphone and have been using it daily for a year. I'm wondering how I should be able to lengthen the lifespans of earphones. I use this same earphones for running, sleeping (sometimes), hanging out, working - basically all the time. And when I don't use it (like when I'm strolling around the mall and talking to someone), I usually just leave it hanging around my neck.

Any ideas on how I should prevent this from happening? Do you guys have separate cheap earphones for running and sleeping? Usually, I want these high end IEMs during working (I work in an office so most of the time, I'm just sitting and typing stuffs in my computer).

I've had 4 earphones broken already and usually they only last for a year. Is it normal that they break within a year?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 5
It could be a wire that has failed, or it could be the driver itself. Sweat, dirt, rain, excess cold or excess heat can all cause drivers to fail. Of course, wires and the solder points are probably the most likely cause of the majority of failures. When you aren't using them, and they aren't around your neck, what do you do with them? Do you put them in a case? Or do you wad them up and put them in your pocket, backpack or computer bag? Do you take them out of your ears by pulling on the wires?

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Do you put them in a case? Or do you wad them up and put them in your pocket, backpack or computer bag? Do you take them out of your ears by pulling on the wires?

Looks like I'm going to hell for this. Yeah, I just put them inside my backpack. The ATH-CKS77X has a pouch (as well as most of my previous earphones). Should I be using that instead? There are times I just tie the cable around my DAP but leave the ends of the cables a bit loose.

I had no idea sweat and rain could also be an issue here. So I guess I shouldn't be running using the earphones? Or perhaps dry them up afterwards?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, you should be using the pouch. Sweat and rain (and all the rest) is a matter of how much and how often. Will not doing any of these things guarantee your IEMs won't fail? No - of course not. All you can do is treat them the best way you can, and when they fail, at least you'll know you did the best you could. The only way to keep them from EVER failing is not to use them, but then what's the point?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 5
  Yeah, I just put them inside my backpack. The ATH-CKS77X has a pouch (as well as most of my previous earphones). Should I be using that instead? 

The last time I broke an earphone was my Shure E2C waaaaaay back in 2009, and that was because I rushed pulling the pouch zipper closed and ripped the cable with it. I've had two beater IEMs since then that I just toss around when I'm in a rush but put in the cases carefully as soon as I can (to avoid rushing the zipper again), and also an ASG-1.3 that came with a Pelican case, and all are still working perfectly. When I don't use the case I toss them into a pocket inside my bags, and when in the case they still usually have their own section as most of my bags have provisions for cameras (either they have it or I can fit a cam pouch like a Crumpler Haven in them).

Or perhaps dry them up afterwards?

As soon as I can, like when I get home (or my hotel room), I open the case and leave it on the table overnight so moisture doesn't get trapped in the case.

There are times I just tie the cable around my DAP but leave the ends of the cables a bit loose.

You might not be stressing the ends by tying them tightly but you're letting them flap around and get moved in different directions while bouncing around inside your bag, which might not be anything like the compartments on the bags I use (a Crumpler 5MDH, 1MDH, and Sinking Barge; and a BBP Industries Messenger with a couple of Crumpler Haven pouches; my light leather office bag is slim but has enough space for the Pelican case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back