Cards with optical-in/Dolby Headphone
Nov 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

K2e2vin

100+ Head-Fier
After looking at some receivers and sound cars, the HT Omega Claro Halo has what I like.  The receivers didn't support Dolby Headphone(or at least ones that were in a reasonable price range for me), and the HT Halo is the only one I can find that has optical input; though it seems Asus cards may sound better.

Reason I want optical-in is to hook my Xbox 360 up to the PC(right now I'm using stereo/line-in); and take advantage of Dolby Headphone technology.  The only Asus cards I can find were the Home Theatre ones which most (1.3) were discontinued and the Slim 1.3 does not have a headphone jack at all.

Are there any other cards worth looking at?  It just seems odd that I can only find 2 cards that fit what I need, and one happens to be discontinued.  I'll consider receivers but I don't want to spend +$300 on one; plus are the headphone outputs even good since speakers are their main focus?

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks, I'll look into that!

BTW, I found out the optical-input on the HT Omega cards are stereo only; that defeats the purpose of why I want them so I guess that narrows down my decision.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 12
There are no sound cards that accept multichannel audio through optical/coaxial. Your only options are the astro mixamp or jvc su-dh1

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 12
I've actually decided on just using a receiver that supports Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 12
why don't you get the turtle beach dss or astro mixamp?

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't want to deal with physically switching input/outputs all the time(not dedicated to gaming).  Pretty much the receiver is much more versatile and simplifies switching.  Not only that but I can finally use HDMI out and take advantage of surround sound-supported movies on PC and Blu Ray/DVD player.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I don't want to deal with physically switching input/outputs all the time(not dedicated to gaming).  Pretty much the receiver is much more versatile and simplifies switching.  Not only that but I can finally use HDMI out and take advantage of surround sound-supported movies on PC and Blu Ray/DVD player.

What receiver did you choose?
Not many receivers have dolby headphone.. i'm quite interested.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to look at Yamaha receivers(V467 or V567; Silent Cinema); I'll probably purchase on the internet since it should be cheaper(no taxes and free shipping if possible).  I believe Sherwood, Harmon Kardon, and Marantz have Dolby Headphones.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 12
There used to be cards that would accept encoded 5.1 audio through the S/Pdif input.  Most of the older Creative cards had the feature BUT, I am pretty sure the DRM in VIsta and Win7 put a stop to it.
There was also another issue with this as there can be a large latency involved, which made gaming with such a system impossible.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 12
yeah, like you say.
I have experience with creative extigy and creative audigy zs2 notebook, but, no lag that would affect gameplay...

Quote:
There used to be cards that would accept encoded 5.1 audio through the S/Pdif input.  Most of the older Creative cards had the feature BUT, I am pretty sure the DRM in VIsta and Win7 put a stop to it.
There was also another issue with this as there can be a large latency involved, which made gaming with such a system impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back