Cardas Upgrade or Stock
Mar 6, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dude_500

100+ Head-Fier
My HD600 cable's are worn out and come in and out. I'm debating between a Cardas cable or a stock 650 replacement. Is the price tag of a Cardas really justifyable?

Also the other thing is I would be running this through a generic RCA cable from my source or phono stage to my head-amp. Would this defeat the point, or is it only critical after the final stage of amplification?

Also I made my point to point tube amp using general automotive hookup wire from the hardware store. Would I need to upgrade the audio-path with cardas hookup wire to avoid creating a 'weakest link' within the amp itself?

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Ah the 'weakest link'. There will always be a weakest link.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I would say try out the 650 stock cable, you can find them ridiculously cheap, so you might as well try one out an see how it performs.
As for more expensive cable offerings: if you feel comfortable with your source/amp setup it might be worth looking into. However it is ultimately up to you, whether the price tag is worth it.
I just got some new cables and IMHO they are worth it, but they were the last things I bought in my setup. The different manufacturers have slightly different sounds, but there is for sure a difference compared to stock IMHO

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 10
I'd also say try the HD650 cable first. You can get them cheap and resell them here on head-fi in a second. As for your amp wiring and RCA ICs, I might upgrade those before I get the cardas cable for your headphones. I like like to have all my wiring on the same level so I don't feel like I have a weak link. But its all up to you, upgrading things is going to help the sound no matter what order you upgrade things.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also say try the HD650 cable first. You can get them cheap and resell them here on head-fi in a second. As for your amp wiring and RCA ICs, I might upgrade those before I get the cardas cable for your headphones. I like like to have all my wiring on the same level so I don't feel like I have a weak link. But its all up to you, upgrading things is going to help the sound no matter what order you upgrade things.

+1
before you go spending 100+ on a new cable it would be wise to upgrade your interconnects first, otherwise there isn't much point to the new headphone cable.
You don't need to go all out on IC's either, you can get good ones for $25-35

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 10
I think I'll build my own cables to save money and keep them minimum length. What are thoughts about blue dragon vs. cardas? It seems like reviews can go either way.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude_500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll build my own cables to save money and keep them minimum length. What are thoughts about blue dragon vs. cardas? It seems like reviews can go either way.

Of the two I've only heard the Cardas, they were better than stock thats for sure, especially in bass.
I've heard REALLY good things about Blue Dragons though, so its probably 50/50 either way. Just flip a coin
wink_face.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 10
I've had the Blue Dragon and the Cardas, and I prefer the Cardas by miles. The blue dragon is really thin and analytical sounding, and being made out of silver, you'd think that it would deliver more harmonic content than the Copper in the Cardas... but it doesn't. Also another strange thing is that I've heard two Cardas cables, one just with 50 hours on it and one with over 3000 hours, and the the one with over 3000 hours sounded more focused and musical.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Also I've concluded that you have to be really anal and selective about your sound to be considering a cable upgrade. We're getting into things that "normal" people just don't care about. Remember, you have to gauge a cables performance on two levels. One is the immediate WOW factor and the other is the cumulative effect, where you note the effect of the music on your brain and your physiology after a long listen. If you don't care about the two aforementioned things, then I'd just order the HD-600 cable. It's a much more sonically capable cable than the HD-650, just a little bit more flimsy. It's stated on SAA's audio tips that the HD600 is a better cable sonically, also, I've done the experiment my self on my old HD580s and I totally agree with SAA.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Blue Dragon and the Cardas, and I prefer the Cardas by miles. The blue dragon is really thin and analytical sounding, and being made out of silver, you'd think that it would deliver more harmonic content than the Copper in the Cardas... but it doesn't. Also another strange thing is that I've heard two Cardas cables, one just with 50 hours on it and one with over 3000 hours, and the the one with over 3000 hours sounded more focused and musical.

Blue Dragon uses a 5-9 24awg copper conductor.

Are you sure you werent using the red or silver dragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back