Cardas Neutral Reference ICs (0.5m): Yes or No?
Oct 26, 2003 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
My fellow Head-Fi members:

I have an opportunity to acquire a mint pair of Cardas Neutral Reference Interconnecting Cables (0.5m) for a steal! However, this opportunity will undoubtedly pass me up should I procrastinate my decision to purchase them. I know nothing when it comes to audio but I did read somewhere on the Internet that cables tend to be the last five percent or "icing on the cake" in an audio / video rig. However, not all cables sound the same nor do the same cables sound great in all rigs.

So, should I take this opportunity to get the Cardas Neutral Reference ICs (0.5m) for no financial loss on my end of the bargain or should I pass on them? I would rather not reveal the potential seller of these cables or the price at which we have negotiated for fear of having someone else snatch them up before I do. I know that these cables are somewhat akin to lore in their own right. Thank you for your answers but please do post your replies as soon as possible.

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I think Jude did a review a while back. Check the search out.

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Out of all Cardas line, Netural Ref. ,especially if you can get 'em at good price, are good.

You get less 'cardas glow' off these, but I like them better than GC or GR. Decent resolution and seem they add less flavor than most and certainly you can do far worse than these amongst aftermarket cables out there in the price range.

Do they work in your rig?
I am afraid you have to take a gamble on it.
BTW, Netural Reference is pretty revealing of your system.

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 10
neutral ref is a good way to go. I find them to be exactly what the name suggests--very neutral. They let the other components in your system shine. If you can get them for such a good price, go for it. You can always sell them later, perhaps even for a profit. Demand for Cardas never dies.

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Without loss, I think the only option is to go for it. Either you get better sound or you get an experience of cabling. With a negative result, the character of the sound will give you an indication of the direction to go when choosing a more appropriate alternative. Because this cable is known to be close to neutral.

I have upgraded my amp to a Corda Prehead and also got a RS-1. In this combination, I discovered that the cable I had used previously (Straightwire Serenade) sounded a little etchy in the treble and probably subtracted some of the resolution. How do I know this? I connected one of my other cables and got increased resolution as well as cleaner treble. Although not a cable sceptic, I was surprised of the difference between cables that was very clear on a number of parameters. The alternativ cable was worse in other aspects so now I am looking for a new cable. Neutral Reference is a hot among my alternatives. If you don't like it, I might be interested!

Oct 27, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 10
How much is "a steal"? If you end up not liking them, I might be interested (but of course in "not much more than steal" prices).

I have one pair, but since I no longer have a single source/single amp setup, I can no longer equip my entire system with them. One of these days, I will get more pairs...

Oct 27, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 10
A good price to me for the 0.5m Cardas Neutral Ref. would be below $200. Another cable to look into in this price range is the Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference (MK I). Good price for a 1m AZ Matrix Ref. is ~$230. A local audiophile buddy of mine chose the Matrix Ref. over the Cardas Neutral Ref. (He A/B'ed them in a speaker-based system).

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 10
I'll have them in my hands by the end of this week, hopefully.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back