Cardas headphone cable at CES
Jan 12, 2002 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by rkw
See the bottom of this page, from the SoundStage coverage of CES.

rkw,

Thanks for the link to info on (and a photo of) the new Cardas headphone cable (I put a link on the Head-Fi front page). Back in autumn of 2001, Colleen Cardas mentioned to me that they intended to release a Sennheiser HD-600 replacement cable, but, of course, I couldn't say anything about it. I'm glad it's public now, as this may be one of the headphone-specific products I've been most looking forward to for quite some time (the HD-600's are among my very favorite headphones -- so much so that I have two pairs).

Expect to see a review of this product on Head-Fi down the road. Also, my review of their Neutral Reference interconnects and Twinlink powercord should be completed very soon.

Jan 12, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 22
cardas_headphone.jpg

Quote:

Roger Kanno wears a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones that are equipped with the new Cardas $150 replacement cord. Besides Cardas cabling, the cord features a proprietary headphone plug that is said to eliminate crosstalk problems inherent in the standard plug's design.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...splaces3.shtml

Someone needs to review this against the stock and Chou's!

Jan 13, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 22
Since Stefan's Audio Art has a couple of Senn 580/600 replacement cables as well, someone needs to get their hands on these three brands and publish a comparitive review...that said, I wouldn't bet against Cardas.

Jan 13, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

wasifazim said...

Since Stefan's Audio Art has a couple of Senn 580/600 replacement cables as well, someone needs to get their hands on these three brands and publish a comparitive review...that said, I wouldn't bet against Cardas.

Agreed, somebody needs to do this.

Jan 14, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 22
I do have the Stefan Audio Art cable--the Equinox--for the HD600.
It's been burning in for about 52 hours and James S. at Stefan's enclosed an instruction to hold off critical listening for 72 hours, but I have to post some impressions. This cable looks a lot like the picture on the Cardas in the appearance of its architecture (color different). The most dramatic improvement is to the bass--deeper and tighter--the transients are quicker, a little more 'air', slightly wider soundstage and a little more treble. It is incredible how the snare drum sounds now...so much attack. It should be noted that these observations are vis a vis the standard cable. Also, I have not heard the Clous or, obviously, the Cardas.

My setup:

Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 CD transport with Elco HPC-10 power cord --> Elco DC-32 digital cable--> Monarchy DIP Mark 2--> Elco DC-32--> North Star model 192 DAC with Elco HPC-10 power cord--> Elco GI-999R gold interconnects--> Corda HA-1 headphone amo--> Sennheiser HD 600 with Equinox cable--> my ears

Jan 14, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 22
That's usually case when going from medicore thin cables to thick high quality cables. First improvement: bass. I think maybe it has to do with bandwidth? Low frequencies use up more throughput?

Jan 14, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 22
msjjr-

I have been checking AudioArt's website regularly to see when the Equinox for HD600 will be ready. I guess they haven't yet updated their site as you have already received yours but the page says "coming soon". You must be one of the first. Congrats. I suppose I should have just called them to get the lowdown...

I like the fact that you can custom order for length and techflex color.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 22
I've just ordered the Cardas cable for my 600s. Review and comparison with the Clou Red will be forthcoming after it arrives.

Ross

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

That's usually case when going from medicore thin cables to thick high quality cables. First improvement: bass. I think maybe it has to do with bandwidth? Low frequencies use up more throughput?

I think it has more to do with better current delivery which in turns translate into better bass response.

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

I've just ordered the Cardas cable for my 600s. Review and comparison with the Clou Red will be forthcoming after it arrives.

Ross, where did you order it?

Jan 17, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 22
Awesome, this should be an interesting review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back