Cardas Audio cable for HD580
Sep 18, 2005 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Few questions...
  1. Has anyone got one, make much difference from the stock cable?
  2. How much do they roughly cost?

Well only 2 questions! I'd be grateful if anyone knows the answers!

biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 22
I liked my cable upgrade for my 580's/650's. For a description, try this link out for one of HeadFi's sponsors:

Cardas Cable Upgrade for Senns

Happy listening.
600smile.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo_obgyn
I liked my cable upgrade for my 580's/650's. For a description, try this link out for one of HeadFi's sponsors:

Cardas Cable Upgrade for Senns

Happy listening.
600smile.gif

Do they have the 1st gen or 2nd gen. I am too shopping for some cable for my 650.

thanks

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Doesn't this belong in the the cables forum?!

Forgive me, I didn't know there was a cable forum!

Got an email yesterday from the only UK distributor and hes selling the 10ft version for £130-Tax, which would be £150 and whatever for P&P total. :|

Considering I payed £110 for my 580s new in the first place I think this might be silly...if I ever find myself needing a new cable..

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Forgive me, I didn't know there was a cable forum!

Got an email yesterday from the only UK distributor and hes selling the 10ft version for £130-Tax, which would be £150 and whatever for P&P total. :|

Considering I payed £110 for my 580s new in the first place I think this might be silly...if I ever find myself needing a new cable..

No, spending the money for a good cable for your 580's is not silly, and you'll likely notice a ten fold increase in sound quality with a good cable for your 580's.
I had the Cardas cable for my 580's, and although it was a well balanced cable and sounded very good (you can see more Cardas comments in the 'Senn V2 or Cardas...' thread), ultimately to my ears there was an upper midrange glare that led to my returning the cable.

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 22
I got an email reply from a shop in Hong Kong, they're selling them for £86/$150 there.
eggosmile.gif

I have a friend who lives in HK too, so I take it being so cheap makes them even more worth buying? With any luck they do SM3s for that cheap too!?

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
No, spending the money for a good cable for your 580's is not silly, and you'll likely notice a ten fold increase in sound quality with a good cable for your 580's.
I had the Cardas cable for my 580's, and although it was a well balanced cable and sounded very good (you can see more Cardas comments in the 'Senn V2 or Cardas...' thread), ultimately to my ears there was an upper midrange glare that led to my returning the cable.

I have 650s. I loved the Cardas cable at first, but then I started to notice the same thing you did: upper midrange glare. Ended up selling the cable and going back to using the stock cable.

Jeffery

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE

A ten fold increase? Come on, let's not get carried away here, the difference will be very subtle. Of course, is weighs heavily on the rest of your system, but even if it's up to par, the difference will not be enormous.

Personally, I feel that cable upgrades can be worth it, but don't go spending $150 on a cable when the rest of your system is certainly not up to par. They should be the last upgrade made.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
A ten fold increase? Come on, let's not get carried away here, the difference will be very subtle. Of course, is weighs heavily on the rest of your system, but even if it's up to par, the difference will not be enormous.

Personally, I feel that cable upgrades can be worth it, but don't go spending $150 on a cable when the rest of your system is certainly not up to par. They should be the last upgrade made.

I see from your public profile that you own the Sennheiser 650 headphones, and maybe the 650's come with a fairly decent cable right from the factory, but for the 580/600 Senn models I stand by my ten-fold increase claim - the changes in sound are not subtle with a good cable in place, and the improvement in sound is eye opening on everything from a Sony Walkman on up.
The stock cable on the 580/600 Senns is so bad that replacing it should be one of the first things you do no matter what your system consists of, and there are few upgrages in audio that offer as much value for the buck as a good cable for the earlier Senns.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 22
I guess I forgot to mention that I previously owned the HD580's for 1.5 years. During that time, I had went from using the stock cable, to (at one point) owning the Oehlbach, Headphile, and Clou Blue cables.

Using the line out from my Karma, as well as my modded 0404 into my old PPA, I could barely tell a difference. Yeah, the difference was there, but I really think you're going overboard here. It's not a tenfold increase, bottom line, and I think some other members would agree with me as well. Yes, you will pick up on small improvements here and there, but it's not a 100% all across the spectrum huge increase in sound quality.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I think some other members would agree with me as well.

I agree with you, and I have heard the HD-580s with the smurf cable. There is a difference, but there is no way it improves the sound 10 fold.

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 22
to spend $120 on a used set of hhd580 then another $150+ on a cable doesnt make sense to me when hd650 are less than 300$ used.

my .02 is to sell your 580 and buy the 650 and if after youve maxxed your system you still think they are bad then buy a cable for the 650.

i dont have complaints with the 650s stock cable personally. these headphones are very responsive to upstream component changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back