Carbon X v Topping A90 v Drop 789
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

networkn

100+ Head-Fier
A while ago, I purchased through Drop, the Cavalli Carbon X. I really like it, but I read that it's balanced performance is much higher/better than it's single ended, and since only my HD800S is balanced, and my Beyer T1 Gen1 is SE, along with my HD650's, I was thinking it would be better for me to find an Amp that can do both really well.

The Cavalli is described as warm, which I like, and I think compliments the analytical nature of the HD800S (which is what I spend 80+ percent of my listening through).

Recently a reviewer I really like and trust, Joshua Valour, rated the Topping A90 as one of the best amps at any price and was almost perfect in his eyes. He also rates the 789 more highly, but recently I found out the A90 is his new daily.

Similarly I heard that all balanced amps do a much worse job of Single Ended, but I am not sure how I tell if the A90 is better than the Carbon X at SE, therefore making it my end game amplication. I have too many Amps/dacs now and am thinking if the A90 can do SE pretty well, I can just use this for everything except mobile.

The only thing I am considering is the Arya, but if I bought this, it would replace the HD800S.

How can I determine without trying, if the A90 SE performance is significantly better than the Carbon X SE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back