Carbon nano
Sep 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 9
JVC HA-S500 & HA-S400

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 9
JVC HA-S500's are just incredible, believe the hype and check out the Appreciation Thread.

CNT FTW!
\m/ :D \m/

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 9
The headphones JVC is offering have nothing to do with the news tipo posted. (Btw, iirc this was already posted a few months ago..)  JVC's headphones use normal dynamic drivers. All they're saying is that they use a different material (probably labeled by the marketing department as "carbon nanotubes"). The S500 have a difficult frequency response...

Carbon nanotube drivers (as in the news article) do not have any moving parts and produce sound through oscillating temperature changes.

vs.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Oops My Bad...

Just got caught up the the JVC hype. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 9
My bad. What with the attention to the JVCs and some mentions of wow-burn-in-must-be-different-on-these, I assumed they actually had to have a non-dynamic driver. Guess what that made out of u (and especially me).

So as for producing sound waves with temperature control... as I figured, the article says that the efficiency is low. They don't produce much sound pressure for the input electric power. I wonder if the linearity and properties change significantly with the ambient temperature.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 9

So as for producing sound waves with temperature control... as I figured, the article says that the efficiency is low. They don't produce much sound pressure for the input electric power.

Indeed, we don't know how low the efficiency is, but in-ear drivers with lower than normal (BA, dynamic drivers) efficiency could still be quite usable. Just have to turn up the volume a bit more like with on/over ear headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back