Carbon, Mini, Micro, ... Pocket DJ
Feb 25, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rassler

Head-Fier
Guys I need a bit of advise with a few of the intangibles of these mini HD players, and would really appreciate your input. I had a Dell Pocket DJ, but it was not what I was looking for. So yesterday I grabbed a Rio Carbon, New Apple Mini 6GB, and Creative Micro from Best Buy to try out with my headphones (Shure E2c) and a few songs. I don't even want to get into which I liked best b/c I hope to keep this from turning into a argument thread. With knowing the prices are different for each (mini =$225 with discount, micro =$230, and carbon =$180 with discount... correct me if those are wrong) here is what I am really looking to find out.

What are these three players like with :
customer service,
warranty,
reliability,
durability,
known promlems,
software,
and anything else that might be helpful... THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 21
The mini is the best in all of those categories IMO, with the carbon and micro having about the same Customer service, known problems (both have headphone jack problems), and software. I dont know if the micro problems are just a bad batch or what but there seems to be some reliablity problems with them, but if you do get a good one they are the best value out of the three IMO.

P.S. - please specify which mini you got, the new one or the old 4gb.

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

with the carbon and micro having about the same Customer service

I tend to disagree with that, from the experiences I've had with Creative, they're customer support isn't actually that bad. However from my experience with Rio, well, let's just say I didn't get a Carbon.

I'd opt for the Micro. It seems as though any problems are pretty random, and I've had mine for about 3 months with no problems. I also know 5 other people personally who own Micros, and not a single one of them has experienced a problem.

The Carbon only has a 90 day warranty, whereas the others come with a 1 year warranty. The Micro is built very well, and it definately out-features your other options. With its great sound quality and features I think that the Micro definately comes out on top. But ultimately it is your decision, good luck!

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 21
I have a mini and my only rub with it is the lack of a decent parametric eq - Perhaps Apple will fix this with a firmware update one day (as the chip will support one) or at least 'i live in hope'
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 21
I have the H10. I've had the Micro and the Mini.

I won't recommend the H10 at this time. Too many basic bugs, and also the colour screen isn't actually that useful. Like the way it looks though. As a pure player I like the Mini better than the Micro. However the Micro has those extra features. Both are more usable than the H10 IMO, even if the H10's bugs were cured.

I did a brief head to head of the Zen Micro vs iPod Mini here.

http://phonephile.blogspot.com/2004/...zen-micro.html

Obviously the battery life extension on the new Mini changes things somewhat.

If I were choosing an everyday player now, since I have voice recorder in the form of the Muvo TX and the battery life has been extended (and if the 18 hour claims mean about a 12 hour real life with certain amount of backlit player usage), I'd go for the Mini. But it would be a tough choice... the Zen's a fun product. However even if just for the sake of having something different from before, I think it's likely that the Zen Micro Photo will be my next small capacity portable. From what you write, you seem to place a premium on the solidity of the product and backup for hardware issues. I think Apple might have the slight edge there as well.

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.caliente
I tend to disagree with that, from the experiences I've had with Creative, they're customer support isn't actually that bad. However from my experience with Rio, well, let's just say I didn't get a Carbon.

Creative Labs's customer support is in Oklahoma while Rio's is in India.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 21
I had a couple of minis last year. Good product, very elegant. Sold 'em 'cause went on a lossless kick. I do both lossless ALAC (on my 4G iPod now) and 320 kbps mp3s on my new Carbon.

Chose the Rio for small form factor, good looks, EQ, and battery life. Enjoying it very much, and shares time with iPod on the belt. It's SHORTER than mini, and that has value to a belt wearer. Haven't had any problems, though I simply bought piece of mind by extending the warranty to a year through Newegg. The new minis, with their improved battery life, are very serious competitors. Love the iPod/mini interface, SQ, line-out capability, elegance, etc. I don't think you can lose. Maybe just keep 'em all!!!

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 21
I dont think the H10 is the right player for me with all the bugs it apparently has right now, and the color screen is not worth the extra $50-$90 for me. So, NO for the H10...
How does getting a 3rd party warranty coverage (like through Newegg for instance) work exactly and how much do they tend to cost?

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rassler
How does getting a 3rd party warranty coverage (like through Newegg for instance) work exactly and how much do they tend to cost?

I dont know which warranty newegg uses but the warranty that most people use around here use is the Viking warranty. Its 20 bucks and covers your mp3 player for 2 years. if it breaks and your stock warranty that comes with the player is expired then you can send it to viking and they'll either fix it or replace it. i do believe (correct me if im wrong) that once you send it to viking you can not send it back again on the same warranty if it breaks again.

Link

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 21
Not recalling totally, but it was about $20 for a year. It's a replacement policy -- the thing stops acting right, I send it in, I get a new one. I really do like my Carbon, and it's been perfect. I do recommend it highly.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 21
Well I think I have narrowed it down to the Micro and Carbon. The mini just didn't have the right sound for me, oh well.
So another thing that is very important to me is the fact that the carbon is seen as a removable drive with no software required. I love that, it just simplifies things. Now I think I heard that the micro becomes something like that after a firmware update, is that true? I use windows XP home.
I know about the carbons headphone problem (the one I got from best buy came with the little wire adapter thing, hopefully if I end up getting it from newegg it will be one of the new, fixed ones) but can anyone give me more details on the micros headphone jack problem, and any other repeating problems with them. Thanks...

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rassler
Well I think I have narrowed it down to the Micro and Carbon. The mini just didn't have the right sound for me, oh well.
So another thing that is very important to me is the fact that the carbon is seen as a removable drive with no software required. I love that, it just simplifies things. Now I think I heard that the micro becomes something like that after a firmware update, is that true? I use windows XP home.
I know about the carbons headphone problem (the one I got from best buy came with the little wire adapter thing, hopefully if I end up getting it from newegg it will be one of the new, fixed ones) but can anyone give me more details on the micros headphone jack problem, and any other repeating problems with them. Thanks...

Some people have experienced the headphone jack actually breaking and sound either cutting off or only being in one ear. other than that its the only consistant problem with the micro other than the occasional freezing when unplugging from the computer. The new firmware (make sure you DONT get the beta one) , 2.xx.xx makes it plug and play compatable so the only thing you need installed on your computer for the micro to work like a portable HD is WMP10 and WinXP. wow, looks like rio is still having that $20 mail in rebate over at newegg still, thats pretty sweet.

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 21
unlike most people, i have no problems with the hardware aspect of my micro. rather, the software is the most horrid piece of software i've ever had the pleasure of using (windows may be the one exception, but let's not go there). the creative firmware is so big-ridden. i can't make playlists at all and just importing my music onto the player is a big pita. the firmware that came with the player (1.xx) was much better than the stupid beta i'm using, and of course creative had to make it non-reversible. i guess it's kinda my fault for having to upgrade even after reading some complaints
rolleyes.gif

however, once the music is finally on the player, it's a complete joy to use. great sound quality and very easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back