Carbon fiber IEMs: could this be the strangest idea I've ever had?
Jun 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cymbal Monkey

100+ Head-Fier
So, here's my thinking, I wana try to build a set of custom IEMs, but out of graphite, why? Because it's easy to lay up. I plan to get my ears molded, lay graphite over the thing to form a shell, vacuum bag it, and grind off the top at which point I will position as many drivers as I can in that sucker, then fill it with some dampening epoxy such that the drivers are held firmly and the shells don't resonate. But here's my only question, where do I find a tiny tiny crossover? I think I'll have to make one... and does anyone have any thoughts?

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 6
http://www.knowles.com

They make the drivers (transducers) you would try to fit in and they also supply crossovers.  I think you could have them connect all the drivers together with a 2 pin (female) connector for your cables to plug into.

You would still need to get audio tubing.

I would really like to try this out.  I have some extra impressing if you want to try making a shell for me.

Would you do the body and faceplate separately or as one peice?

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 6
wow, that's a good idea. the only question is how will delicate skin inside your ear react with carbon fiber. anyway, let us know about your progress.
btw, +1 to the single driver idea.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 6
My idea would be to mount the x-over externally.
Then you can use the right components for the job.
The so-called x-overs I have seen so far seen to feature
tantalum caps to get enough capacitance in a small enough
size, and we all know tantalum don't sound very nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back