Car stereo questions, diminishing returns? how to divide my budget?
May 12, 2010 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of spending around $300.  I want a balance between something fun and something that would please an audiophile.

Right now I'm trying to decide between whether I need an amp, whether component speakers are worth it, and how much to spend on which parts.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Wyatt

May 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 14
$300 is a tough budget to work with if you are going for a full system, headunit/speakers/sub/etc.

If you're just looking for an improvement over the stock system, $300 can do a fair amount. I would split the money between a new headunit and front stage speakers. IME, replacing the primary speakers makes the biggest difference and the headunit will make a nice change in sound as well as give you more tuning options vs most stock systems.

May 12, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 14
I just dropped about $400 on a new car stereo. I gotta tell you, it was absolutely not worth it; I replaced the head unit, the front speakers and the rear speakers. The front speakers are now component speakers with an external crossover, and the rear speakers are just simple 6x9 speakers. My very, very modest bedroom rig with audioengine p4s absolutely kills my new car stereo. 

The problem is that the imaging in a car is  terrible. It just doesn't work. 

I needed to replace the HU because my factory one stopped playing cds, and honestly, if I were doing it again, I would just change out the front speakers for something a little better than factory, and maybe add a sub if I could find the right price. The speakers in the rear deck have made no difference, and I would return them if it were worth it to me to take out my back seat again.

So....I guess my advice is to change out your HU if you have to, change out speakers if they're blown, otherwise go buy a new amp for your bedroom. Sorry if this post was too negative.

May 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 14
Head unit first unless u have really rubbish speakers. A lot of modern cars actually have decent speakers but abysmal head units. You also get a lot more functionality and ease of use from HU's and the ability to tweak EQ's more. I like the Parametric EQ on my pioneer HU and havent found the need to swap speakers. If you like your bass though you might need a sub. No matter what u do, you can only get so much bass from door mounted 5 or 6 inch speakers without an enclosure.

May 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 14
I would start with a new deck (head unit) and branch out. As far as components, you will probably only want to get them if you have 6x9s or the like to pickup the low end. Most components in that price range likely wont get you the sound you're looking for in my experience. I'd recommend to spend the 300 on a deck (with usb inputs etc) or save up and make one big purchase so you don't have to keep tearing your car apart and putting it back together...they just don't make plastic like they used to and door fittings etc can break easily. I've always had great luck going to local stereo shops and talking with the people...they usually will work with your budget (discounts/open-box etc.) if it seems like you're going to come back to buy more or are truly interested. 

May 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 14
$300 is stage 1 (yeah, I know and you will only ever buy one pair of headphones
wink_face.gif
). If you try and spread $300 around for the whole system, you will be disappointed. As earthpeople said, look at replacing the front stage speakers.

Get a HU that is more future-proof, ie something that can play or connect to MP3 players, iPod etc. Also one that has enough power to comfortably drive your front stock upgrades  and rears when you get them, otherwise wait and save some more. 

The rear is important for sound reinforcement. If and when you can run a separate amp, unless it's a big multi-channel, use it to take over running the front speakers and/or sub. Leave the HU to run some rear 6x9s if you need it.  The rationale is that you are using the best amp to run the best part of the system. 

To put it in context in my car the  front stock 6.5 have been replaced by Hertz speakers. The rear parcel shelf has stealth fitted Focal 6x9s with a 12" JL Audio Sub Wedge in the boot. The front and sub are powered by a Soundstream amp and the 6x9s by by the  Alpine CDA-9855R 

Linked to my Ipod Photo 4G by the Alpine KCA-420i. 

The beauty of such a setup, is that you don't push it to enjoy it. I can listen to classical to drum and bass as quietly or as bangin' as I please.  The point is I didn't start out with all of this. I built it up bit by bit. Getting the best components for each section I could afford. Pretty much as I intend to put together my headphone system. 

What sort of car is also important. If it's small you probably won't need the rear 6x9s,  just change out the fronts add an amp and a sub. If the car's a keeper, custom the doors and drop some 8" and put some custom tweeters up top to give you some decent stereo imaging.

But what ever you do, as you also wanted, have fun.

May 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 14
It's a 2003 Honda Accord.  The speakers sound pretty crappy compared to the modest Alpine system I have in my current Ford Ranger.

The main thing I want is Aux input, iPod specific usb is even better.  

Right now I plan on getting a $130 kenwood from Crutchfield (comes with $30 install kit, which I need, so it's a good deal.)

Then I'll probably buy a pair of Polk component speakers off ebay for $110, leave the rear speakers stock.

I spend a lot of time in my car.  I take long 8 hour plus road trips, long commutes, etc.  I just want something that doesn't sound like mud.  

I have $800 invested in my 2.0 setup, I can't bring myself to spend the same amount on my car speakers.  The audiophile gods would turn their backs on me, and I'd just be a 21 year old with a sub in his trunk.

May 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 14
How much does one need to spend on a subwoofer to get something that sounds decent?  

What size, 8, 10, 12 inch? and how much power should I give it?

I'd be adding a sub for me, not the car in the next lane.

May 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
How much does one need to spend on a subwoofer to get something that sounds decent?  

What size, 8, 10, 12 inch? and how much power should I give it?

I'd be adding a sub for me, not the car in the next lane.

Once you are happy with the front end. Sit in the car and play something that you're familiar with from your home set up. Think about the sound you want to hear. Do you want deep subs? Then a single 12" running from a mono block will probably fit. Do you want a tighter/punchier bass... twin 10"s might do it. 

Let's say you think you have fitted the right subs etc, but your car is rattling at certain frequencies, even at a modest volume, consider dampening panels.  Ergonomics are important. Do you need constant boot space, then consider  a more discrete unit. Every time I go  shopping I can't be arsed to take out the sub and put half the groceries on the back seat.

You shouldn't need to spend much at all. A separate amp will help take the strain off the HU.

May 13, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks everyone for the good advice. 

I have a little more money than expected, so I should be able to add $350 sub/amp/enclosure.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options.  Could someone point me towards the deals?

Right now I'm trying to compare between Crutchfield and eBay, but I don't know what's the better deal.  

I want tight, fast bass.  Do I need 10" subs for this?  Dumb question, but what's the advantage of having two subs?  Most home setups only use one subwoofer...

EDIT:

This seems like a really good deal. No?
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-7205-2-KFC-W2512-AMP-SUB-COMBO-DEAL-/120563946581?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item1c122bd455#ht_5601wt_1165

May 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Smaller dual subs can give you faster more accurate bass over one large sub. You could go for  a single 10" if properly driven or (sorry to throw up more options) even a dual 8".

That deal doesn't look bad. Don't forget to cost in an enclosure. Which in that example will take it up to $290...
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-7205-AMP-2-KFC-W2512-SUBS-W-ENCLOSURE_W0QQitemZ370376421855QQcategoryZ18795QQcmdZViewItem

I can't help on deals. I've had all my stuff pro fitted. Anyway as I live in middle-earth we always get gouged. If it's not on the $/£ rate it's import tax or something.

Oh! I just found this. Might come in handy one day...

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm

May 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 14
With home theater I always heard advice to spend at least $350 or $450 for a sub that doesn't suck.

It seems like all 10 to 12" subs cost 75 to 150 dollars, then jump up to like $800 for the next tier.

Instead of worrying about subs, maybe I should choose my amp first?

May 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 14
As you probably know, the sub enclosure can make a huge difference in sound. You should either build your own or have a pro build it to match your choice of sub. A bad sub can sound pretty good with a great box; likewise, a great sub can sound horrible with a bad box, not to mention you may risk damaging the sub.

What I would do is pick a reputable subwoofer around maybe $100, find an amp that has a bit more power than the subwoofer requires, and build a box on your own if you are able. You should be able to fit that under $350, unless you have the box built by an car audio store.

May 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm not passionate enough about this to build an enclosure.  I'm really just looking for that "good enough" level of audio quality.  I'll probably order most of the parts online and pay someone who seems experienced on craigslist to install anything that's complicated or time consuming.

I think my problem with making this decision is I'm looking for the enthusiast's advice without wanting to put in the enthusiast's time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back