Car Stereo Amplifiers?
May 16, 2004 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elliot

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anybody had ever modified any car stereo amplifiers or set up car stereo amplifiers so that they run as headphone amplifiers?

I imagine that you could do this pretty easily if you got some power adapter to feed DC to the amp, and then wired RCA/headphone inputs to the input connections, and then wired headphone plugs to the other side.

May 16, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 4
i used to run a 10inch jl audio and a pair of 4inch splits as my computer sound system... but any car amp will churn out way too much power to be used as a headphone amp. I think you'll find there will be a quality issue aswell. I powered mine from the 12vDC line of a computer power supply which worked fine.

May 16, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
I powered mine from the 12vDC line of a computer power supply which worked fine.

How do you know which is the 12vDC line, and how do you get the power supply to turn on when its not hooked up to a motherboard?

May 16, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
How do you know which is the 12vDC line, and how do you get the power supply to turn on when its not hooked up to a motherboard?

The 12V line from a standard computer PSU is the yellow wire on the 4 pin molez connector, the two blacks are both ground wires and the red is 5V.

To Turn-on a psu without a motherboard attached you have to take the 20pin cable and short out the green and any black wire. These have to remain shorted for the duration of the run.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back