Car Receiver as Computer Mod
Sep 6, 2003 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I just came up with a great idea for a case mod the other day, I was looking through my parts express catalog and saw that they have AC-DC converters that put out good power, so I was like->I could get one and use that!!, then it hit me-> IN THE COMPUTER!!, I mean, that would kick ass wouldn't it...I was just wondering if you knew if I could power one by the PC's PS alone, or would I have to get a converter...and anyone have recommendations...

I know Kenwood eXcelon ones are good, so I'm probably going to get one of those, but Blaupunkt are great, but look bad, and Alpines are way to expensive...ugh...

Sep 7, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 8
I guess it all depends on the voltages and the amperages, neh? What is car -- 12VDC, innit? What is computer?

Sep 7, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm 90% not likely to do this anymore, since my dad said it's pointless, and he's right, but a lot do suck at +12V, and that's what comes out of the PS!!, amazing
biggrin.gif
...but I don't know how much actual juice they need, would probably need a 400W+ PS to use one, I've only got a 300W.

Sep 7, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 8
D-EJ915: You'd need the exact specs of the power supply in order to find out the amperage it can deliver on the +12 V rail. You'd probably need a server type power supply for that, because the ones for desktop pcs put the major part of the available wattage/amperage on the +5 V rail - and even then the power would probaly be not clean enough for audio purposes. You'd probably be much better off by building a conventional (= non-switching) power supply yourself, instead. Oh, and btw, as far as I know, a lot of modern car radios/amps use "flying ground" (= signal and ground lines are flipped for each pass through the 0 V line - a simple trick to double the availabe supply voltage in order to provide more output power...) - so be careful with modifications, as chassis ground and the minus-pole of the loudspeaker outs are not the same in these designs!

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 8, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 8
my dad used to run a computer store, and I remember the stereo he used in the workshop was this old car stereo that ran off a computer power supply, using a junk motherboard to trick it into turning on. it certainly wasn't hifi by any means, but it got the job done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back