Car racing games
Jun 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 27
Grand Prix Legends 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 27
GT5 and Forza is fun for casual racing but their physics is not quite as convincing I feel. But I must say Forza 4 grew when playing on my 51" TV and gamepad over my racing monitor with full wheel setup. It just felt better suited for casual racing then ultimate realism :) That said it´s not bad with wheel surely but then I just start to nag about the physics when things don´t quite feels right :)

Another PC sim you have to try is Game Stock car. Truly excellent sim. It won´t again impress you on the visual side of things but then again you don´t need a cray computer to get your 100 fps generally.
But yes better visuals don´t hurt much but regarding cars I preferr quality over quantity unless there is a more casual approach to it like GT5 and Forza :)

I have played most of the pc sims with supposed ultimate physics and honestly did not see what made them better. In gt5 the cars that I have owned in rl handle VERY realisticly in the game. The nuances that these cars demonstrate when pushed to the limit are there. For reference my last 3 cars are 03 corvette z06(current), 04 rx8, 98 corvette coupe. I autocrossed them and the vettes went to the strip regularly(no point with the rx8) so I have a good feel for the cars

Furthermore, for all the people that tout the realistic physics of the pc sims.... How do you know? What is this based on? The pc sims only offer GT cars, F1 cars, stock cars ect.... how much seat time do you have in those in RL to make a valid comparison?

The selection of real world cars in GT5 is exactly what appeals to me. I can drive MY car on laguna seca or the nurburgring .. And if I get the urge I can try out the new LFA, Mclaren, GTR and compare them directly with a car I know. :)

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
Furthermore, for all the people that tout the realistic physics of the pc sims.... How do you know? What is this based on? The pc sims only offer GT cars, F1 cars, stock cars ect.... how much seat time do you have in those in RL to make a valid comparison?

That´s one good question I´ve been asking myself as well. Since practically nobody has hands on experience in these racing series I guess the reputation of PC sims is based on two things: Comments by people who have driven these cars and the simple fact that something bein difficult is usually associated with bein realistic. That might be a true statement, or not. I don´t know.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 27
It´s not about being difficult for difficult sake. If the physics are good you can relate to them but of course the challenge is taking it to the limit. That is why you have these unapproachable alien that somehow manages to get closer to the edge :). The sims I find the "easiest" is generally the ones I am the slowest in :wink: That said some cars are supposedly really difficult to drive. F1 you really have to drive fast to keep the tire temps and brake temps up and of course there is a lot of power to handle even with TC.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 27
Trackmania Nations Free version! Pick up a GT 430 for $40, best value around for sure.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #21 of 27
couldn´t resist the rFactor2 beta. Nice to see how things actually progress. Was and still am very impressed by the GSCs formula cars but this is perhaps even better! GT cars behave superbly as well. FFB on a level I had no idea the G27 could achieve, feels kind of belt driven as long as you don´t hit the curbs anyway.

Nice selection of tracks as well. SPA 67 is an entirely different beast then todays SPA. It´s like a never ending chicken race to next corner talk about death trap! Monaco 67 bear a lot of resemblance but now include a jump! And hay stacks how can you not love those.
Malaysia, mills motorway and the Portugal circuit also interesting and relatively new to me.  It´s beta so the car models are not finished but still decent amount of detail. Great to see all the wheel detail on the old GPL style of cars. Sound I have issues with my setup sadly so I get distortion
but looking passed that it´s insanely good for just being a beta. Nice to see since it was not a strong side of the original rFactor.

Physics this is a new benchmark I dare to say.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
Pole Position has the best racing physics around, guys.

Nah I'm pretty sure that belongs to Richard Burns Rally... I've seen some INSANE set ups for that game. Guys playing with like Actual Car set ups. with a seat, the steering wheel, shifter... everything. It was essitnaly a Car with a Monitor in it xD all for RBR
Quote:
I agree Top Gear is amazing.  I have not had a good racing game in a bit, I still will play the PGR series though. 

It was, PGR was good to. I played a little of it on the Xbox [omg yea the ORIGNAL xBox] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back