Car questions(ask me)
Jul 21, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 47
Nice options, but I wanted to buy a new car. I driven used cars my whole life and the Corvette is kind of a mid life crisis thing.

I want to treat myself before I get too old.

My friend also recommends that I get a used Porsche 911.

If you had to pick between the new c7 Corvette or a new Cayman, which one would you get?

They are about the same price. If I go with the Cayman, then I will get it with manual.

I would get either one with just the base options.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #32 of 47
when the engine is cold (ie early morning), I've always wondered if it's best to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before moving off. would it be a good practice to the life of the engine, or would it made not difference at all?

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #33 of 47
Well the corvette well definately be faster and have a louder exhaust. The Porsche cayman will probably handle better and maybe be more comfortable.

I actually just read about the new Porsche boxter and they were saying that it comes awfully close to the 911 in terms of performance. So you should definately check it out.

There are many other choices in that price range. The 2013 Audi RS5 and BMW m3. Mercedes has some choices too, like the slk.

It all depends on what you want in your car. Do you want more performance or luxury? Or a combination?

If you want a performance car id go with the Porsche, any model would do!

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #35 of 47
The BMW m3 goes for about 64k.

The base Corvette goes for about 52k.

As far as Audi goes, Consumer Reports says that they have a high maintenance cost.

I think the Porsche Cayman is about 55k, which is pretty close to the Corvette to be competitive.

I went to the car show this last year and I sat inside both the Corvette and Porsche.

The Porsche just felt right, something about German engineering.

But the Corvette just has way more horse power, so I was leaning towards the Corvette.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 47
All German vehicles have high maintenance costs. I actually read Audi has the lowest of all German brands. 

But be prepared to have high maintenance costs on any high end cars, especially sports cars. 

Sports cars are abused in a way, they are driven super hard( thats the point of a sports car). They need way more dealer service visits then say a Toyota. 

I would say all sports cars are high in maintenance, so it's not a rational comparision to other cars. 

By the way the Corvette has a low price tag, and it shows. The interior and body will be built super cheaply. All the money is in the engine and transmission. 

I thought of one car that would beat any of the above we;ve alrealy spoken about by a ton. Its the Nissan GT-R. I suppose you could get into  a brand new base model for a maybe 90k at the least. But It competes againts ferrari's and lamborghin's. It has an dual cluth transmission. 
Super fast, it would whip a corvette. It does have the highest maintenance costs though, according to MSN auto.

My advice is to go test drive all the sports cars you are interested in. After all you are spending this big sum of money you should get a feel for everything. And the salesman won;t be as agressive as in a kia dealership because they understand. And their comminsion is 10x as much LOL.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 47
Really all German cars have high maintenance costs? So what about something like Volkswagon,Smart,Opel and Lower end Bimmers are not bad at all ie 1 and 3 series excluding the M's of those series really are not horrible for what they are.  
Thats weird also just looked at 2012 V6 M6spd Honda Accord Coupe vs a 2012 Bmw 328i Coupe M6spd
Years 1 through 3 of owning the cars
The honda has a 203 dollar maintenance cost while the BMWs maintenance is 0.00 looks like maintenance wise the Bmw is 200 dollars cheaper then a Honda. After that Bmw does shoot up in maintenance costs but really again its not bad for what the car is.  
And btw way Audi is far far far from the lowest of the German brands of cars to keep up in maintenance...Just the TT coupe in the first 3 years is 1,562.00 where the honda is 600.00 and the Bmw is 0.00 Just saying...

Quote:
All German vehicles have high maintenance costs. I actually read Audi has the lowest of all German brands. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #38 of 47
Also lets look at some more sportier Bmw and Audi all 2012 models

Audi Rs4 coupe 5 year maintenance                                 8,391.00
Audi S6 V10 sedan 5 year maintenance                           7,446.00
Audi S8 Quattro sedan 5 year maintenance                     9,262.00

Bmw 335i sedan 5 year maintenance                                4,696.00
Bmw M3 coupe 5 year maintenance                                   7,340.00
Bmw 750Li sedan 5 year maintenance                              7,069.00

Looks like the Bmw is cheaper to own maintenance wise

And another thought as well on the GTR

The GTR is a 96,000 dollar car vs a base model Corvette at 49,000 

The Vette has a 5 year maintenance of 4,606.00
The GTR has a 5 year maintenance of  8,860.00

Even after the Vette has all its Maintenance, Repair,insurance, taxes added up it still does not add (around 71k) up to the GTR's base price of 96k.  You can not compare these two cars at all.  And the only thing you seem to managed to bring up about the GTR is that it has a Dual Clutch Transmission.........Not that the Fact that it has 4 wheel drive, dual turbo 3.8L V6 even with this much power still gets 23mpg on the high. Its 0-60 is 3.1s vs the vettes 4.9 and its also a 11.1 second quarter mile car out of the box
This is just me recalling things from a nicely Buzzed evening, not even looking the car up on the interwebers.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
when the engine is cold (ie early morning), I've always wondered if it's best to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before moving off. would it be a good practice to the life of the engine, or would it made not difference at all?

Bump!

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #41 of 47
What is the bore and stroke of a 426 Hemi from a 1970 Hemi Cuda
atsmile.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #43 of 47
I have a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with a 2.0 L turbo.

My question:
Should I let the car idle for a while after I have finished driving it, and if so, for how long?

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #44 of 47
If you are worried about it get a turbo timer installed they are in expensive and they will shut the car down after a predetermined time.  But i would start by reading your owners manual for it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back