Car got broken into... in my driveway... in my safe neighborhood
Sep 24, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
My mom just told me, because I was sleeping when she discovered it. I'm not that angry, because I had taken Xanax already.

And actually, I don't want to talk about what was stolen.

However, this little joke of a crime is going to cost our family $500, because of the insurance deductible. That's JUST what we need right now, when money is tight and the economy is in a poor state.
frown.gif
Not fair to my parents at all.

I think it's best not to do any further investigating with the police, but what do you guys think?

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 32
You didn't by any chance keep valhalla cables in your car?

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A police report will help substantiate your insurance claim. Call them and don't touch anything.

Them... as in the cops. I was thinking about calling the insurance first, but not sure. Is it generally difficult to prove that things were stolen?

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 32
A police report is always a useful document to have if you can get it. It proves that your car was in fact broken into, and more importantly that you didn't do it. Any insurance against a claim of fraud is useful when dealing with an insurance company.

It might not be necessary to have a police report, but today is the only day you can get one. I say dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" here, if possible.

Unless, of course, you cannot report what was stolen to the authorities. In which case it's time to move.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 32
That sucks. I had the soft window of my jeep slashed last summer and nothing was stolen. I doubt they even looked inside, probably just cut it up to be a ******.

Hopefully you didn't lose anything too valuable (monetarily or sentimentally)

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wired my front car speakers with valhalla cables. I get at least 20 more bhp now. Also girls.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A police report is always a useful document to have if you can get it. It proves that your car was in fact broken into, and more importantly that you didn't do it. Any insurance against a claim of fraud is useful when dealing with an insurance company.

It might not be necessary to have a police report, but today is the only day you can get one. I say dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" here, if possible.

Unless, of course, you cannot report what was stolen to the authorities. In which case it's time to move.

So if something was, in fact, stolen (answer=yes, but just discovered it missing, and not willing to divulge), I should get a police report. But I should get one, regardless.

Like, for instance, if my computer had been stolen, I would report it to the police, and the insurance company would reimburse me?

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Damnit, you got me... it was the Valhalla that was stolen!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear that Aaron. Best of luck to you and your car in getting everything back in order.

Thanks... I'm just glad, you know, that the car itself wasn't stolen. That would be a whole world of disaster.

Oh, and I'm requesting a standby lawn-burning team be assembled, because this is a Head-Fi related crime.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 32
That sucks!
frown.gif

Guess no neighborhood is safe these days...

Hopefully you get most of the loss/expenses covered by the insurance.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 32
Not likely. Most auto insurance will only reimburse for factory installed items. For instance my portable DVD player and screens (for the lil ones) was stolen out of my car and insurance would not cover them. For that you would need an umbrella policy. I did, however, get them to cover the child seats that were covered in glass.

X2 on the police report, you insurance will most likely require to even begin filing the claim. Sorry for you loss... It's a real punch in the gut to have your property violated.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damnit, you got me... it was the Valhalla that was stolen!
wink.gif

I thought it was your fleshlight? I'm DIYing one for you right now - due to insufficient materials, I'm building one out of sushi seaweed, mashed potatos and some LED lights. Free of charge
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks... I'm just glad, you know, that the car itself wasn't stolen. That would be a whole world of disaster.

Oh, and I'm requesting a standby lawn-burning team be assembled, because this is a Head-Fi related crime.

Time to call lawn-burning ninja squads. We'll just burn every lawn there is aside from your own.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 32
Since the car was in your driveway, your homeowner's insurance might cover it as well. That would make it easier to be reimbursed for whatever was stolen.

When you get a police report, be sure that it notes the location of your car for the benefit of the insurance company. You don't want them contesting that you moved it after the break-in.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 32
Basically, I had a towel covering goods, and the towel was not covered with glass (because they had to lift the towel to get the items). The glass is pretty much only where the items were not located. Seems pretty solid to me, and the the insurance company won't jerk me around here.

Also, our insurance policies are quite good, so that's encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back