Car Damping Sheets
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 9
I have not used or heard of that product before. But I have used about $50 of Peel-N-Seal in my car before: doors, floor board, and trunk. The car stunk like tar for a week and it took another week for the smell to completely go away, but after that it worked great and without issue. I also sprayed some kind of rubberized product inside the wheel wells and on the engine's fire wall. The two products together significantly reduced road noise and made my tunes sound better. This also added to my car's resale value.

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishPower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would this sort of thing be useful to use inside of dac's and amps?

My Sonic Frontiers Pre-amp, Phono pre-amp came from the factory with strips of this or similar material inside the top chassis.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 9
I lined the insides of my ProAc clones with Dynamat when I built them. I didn't do an A/B comparison, but I don't hear any resonance and the cabinets are pretty "dead" as far as I can tell. I also glued a heavy felt over the Dynamat, which probably helps a bit, too.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 9
i've used vibration damping materials on the insides of speaker cabinets and even some closed headphones with generally good results. For the speakers, it added mass and lowered the resonance of the cabinets, and with the headphones (specifically my AT SJ5s it isolated the sound better making everything cleaner perhaps because of the damping, perhaps because of the mass change, perhaps just because it offered more isolation. hard to say because i also upgraded to spc cabling at the same time...

that being said, the whole purpose of using it for speakers, chassis, cars,is to lower the resonating frequency by adding mass. I would advise against using Peel N Seel or any strictly asphalt based dampers in heat sensitive applications because it has been known to cause problems at least in car installations and i couldn't imagine anyone wanting to take a chance with the interior of a component.

Check out this extensive comparison of the various brands, asphalt vs. rubber etc etc that this man has generously undertaken and tested for more info (its for cars but the basic principle of mass addition is still the same)

Sound Deadener Showdown

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've used vibration damping materials on the insides of speaker cabinets and even some closed headphones with generally good results. For the speakers, it added mass and lowered the resonance of the cabinets, and with the headphones (specifically my AT SJ5s it isolated the sound better making everything cleaner perhaps because of the damping, perhaps because of the mass change, perhaps just because it offered more isolation. hard to say because i also upgraded to spc cabling at the same time...

that being said, the whole purpose of using it for speakers, chassis, cars,is to lower the resonating frequency by adding mass. I would advise against using Peel N Seel or any strictly asphalt based dampers in heat sensitive applications because it has been known to cause problems at least in car installations and i couldn't imagine anyone wanting to take a chance with the interior of a component.

Check out this extensive comparison of the various brands, asphalt vs. rubber etc etc that this man has generously undertaken and tested for more info (its for cars but the basic principle of mass addition is still the same)

Sound Deadener Showdown

Thanks for the interesting link, ill have to have a read of it

If i was to line the case of my DAC what should I expect in terms of sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back