Car crash victim's arm found. cellphone intact!
Feb 20, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Agree. It's a common misconception that a cellphone is distracting because it's in your hand. But in reality it's mostly because your attention is so split between driving and talking that you can't control the car as well and your reaction time is drastically decreased.

So conversation between drivers and passengers should be banned as well?

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

I don't know why, but a cell phone conversation is different than an in-car conversation. At least that's been my experience. Perhaps the fact that someone in the car with you knows what's happening from the driver's perspective which allows them and you to back off the conversation during critical moments while you're driving, while a cell phone caller might ask you an important question or drop some bombshell on you, requiring your full concentration....as you're sitting in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left turn ... or at the very moment some transport truck is cutting you off.

When I did drive and use my cell phone, the majority of times there wasn't a problem, but on occasion I would find myself getting engrossed in the conversation and paying zero attention to driving. For example, a passenger would be highly unlikely to suddenly blurt out "I'm sorry to tell you but your child's been in a bad accident" ... while something that overwhelming could happen during a cell phone call. But it doesn't even have to be something that heavy ... it could be an important client simply asking a question, and you, not wanting to make them wait while you make your turn, in that critical moment, divert all your attention to their problem.

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #33 of 51
I've no love for the cellphone n car user . . I've been in many near-accidents due to those fellas . . .

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut

Sorry if that was badly stated, but no it we should not ban conversations with people inside the car.
tongue.gif

It is different from talking to someone who is sitting right next to you then someone that you are talking to over the phone. Why? I'm not sure. I haven't read all the research so I honestly don't know.

But if you try just walking around a busy block talking on a cellphone or walking around the same block talking to someone who is walking with you, you will notice a difference in your concentration.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I don't know why, but a cell phone conversation is different than an in-car conversation. At least that's been my experience. Perhaps the fact that someone in the car with you knows what's happening from the driver's perspective which allows them and you to back off the conversation during critical moments while you're driving, while a cell phone caller might ask you an important question or drop some bombshell on you, requiring your full concentration....as you're sitting in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left turn ... or at the very moment some transport truck is cutting you off.

When I did drive and use my cell phone, the majority of times there wasn't a problem, but on occasion I would find myself getting engrossed in the conversation and paying zero attention to driving. For example, a passenger would be highly unlikely to suddenly blurt out "I'm sorry to tell you but your child's been in a bad accident" ... while something that overwhelming could happen during a cell phone call. But it doesn't even have to be something that heavy ... it could be an important client simply asking a question, and you, not wanting to make them wait while you make your turn, in that critical moment, divert all your attention to their problem.

This has been supported by research.
Something to do with a phenomenon known as "Gaze Aversion"...literally the divertion of attention (of a mobile phone call) messes around with the driver's perception and vision.
Generally, a passenger in the car will instinctively back off while the driver tunes in to a tricky manoeuvre.
Very much like how my stepfathers German Shepherd dog, sitting bolt upright on the van's front seat and staring out the windscreen would begin to lean into the bend fractions before Pop had turned the steering wheel
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
This has been supported by research.
Something to do with a phenomenon known as "Gaze Aversion"...literally the divertion of attention (of a mobile phone call) messes around with the driver's perception and vision.
Generally, a passenger in the car will instinctively back off while the driver tunes in to a tricky manoeuvre.

Good point, self-preservation takes precedent over conversation. If I'm a passenger in a car, and the driver can't talk and drive at the same time- I'm the first person to shut-up!
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #38 of 51
Morons who drive while talking are a threat not only to themselves but to all of us. Good riddance. I have no sympathy. She was putting the lives of not only other drivers but her child in danger. Personally, I think she should be put on trial for child endangerment and as part of her sentencing if she EVER purchases a "hands-free" set thinking to try this **** again she should get the death penalty. Call it a pre-emptitive strike, since they're apparently legal now and all.

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Excellent!

...after she gets out of the hospital throw her in the slammer.

For years.

For being both a moron, endangering the welfare of a child and using a cellphone without hands-free (is it law in KY yet? If not it should be).

Maybe even non-consensual sterilization wouldn't be too much. Such people shouldn't be allowed to breed (more than she apparently has...)

I agree what she did was stupid.. But I agree with some of the others here when I say I believe you're being a little harsh.. God forbid you ever made a mistake in your life. I suppose you should have lost an arm or leg everytime you made one?? And as for her having kids, I personally hope YOU never have kids. Apparently you've yet to learn the definition of empathy and if you have young ones I guarantee they will make some mistakes..

Edit: Not to mention the article doesn't mention her as even talking on her cell phone. A hand "clutching" a cell phone is not really indicative of her actually talking on the phone.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Edit: Not to mention the article doesn't mention her as even talking on her cell phone. A hand "clutching" a cell phone is not really indicative of her actually talking on the phone.

Tell me you're kidding here. What, do you think she got in an accident and grabbed the phone? She hit something and started rolling. Both her hands SHOULD have been on the wheel. The phone is not the instinct there. No, she was talking on the phone.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08

I'm sure her defence atttorney will make that very same claim in court, but if the term "smoking gun" ever had relevance outside of a homicide, this would be the case!
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #44 of 51
I was riding on the 405 (the busiest and deadliest freeway in the US) once with my friends in traffic and there was this lady driving her SUV with her right foot out the window, on the cell phone using her shoulder, drinking soda, and having a dog in her lap.

TRUE STORY.

My friends and I rolled down the window and yelled at her, but she didn't hear from across three lanes.
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
.bluetooth people bluetooth...it's the way to go and so nice...unfortunately it seems not too many people are "hip" to bluetooth or even know what it is...all they see is your ass talking to yourself and think you've gone crazy

While I agree, of those people I've met who didn't use bluetooth: most couldn't afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back