Car CD Player...xformer question
Jun 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
My most recent vehicle doesn't seem to have a good place for my Alpine CD player, so I thought it might be fun to use it with my headphone rig. Build a small box, wire up a wallwart and go!

The power needs for this unit are 14.4 vDC (11-16 allowable) as you would expect. The power lead on it has a 5A inline fuse. If that is the highest value it should ever see, then I was looking at a few wallwarts at Jameco. The two most likely are the 14V 500mA, and the 14V 1A, but don't know which makes more sense. I'm thinking the 1A. Guesses?

Also, I would assume that an AC-to-DC regulated unit would be the right one to use...or should it be unregulated? I'm quite unsure of this, but would lean towards the regulated PS.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way. Rock on!

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 9
Line out...yes. In fact this player, the CDA-7939, has a 4V line output. I may need to hook this up to the car battery and check what the amp usage is. That might get me closer. 3A, huh? hm.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Or just a car battery to hang my 'phones on...haha...

Thanks, man. I've got a few other emails out tonight to ask a friend in the car audio biz.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Don't waste your money at Rat-Shack, get a Pyramid Regulated Power Supply instead. The PS4KX ought to do the job nicely.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 9
For $10 more you could get the PS-9KX that can do 5A constant, 7A surge, and has a useful cigarette lighter jack on the front panel. This is the power supply that I use to power my modded T-amp and will soon be powering a 41HZ Audio AMP6 instead.
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 9
I just got an email reply from Eric Holdaway of USD Audio. The Holdaways, in general, are the first family of car audio...haha... Anyway, here is the text of what he said:
"...As long as you are not running the internal amplifier, the 3A should do it."

I'll just be using the line out, so I think I'm good to go with the 3A unit.

Thanks, all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back