Car Audio Newbie
Feb 9, 2006 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I wasn't quite sure where to post this. But, seeing how a search came up with a few car threads in this forum, I'll give it a shot here.

I recently inherited a car, a 1991 Toyota Previa minivan to be exact, and I'm looking to redo the audio system in it. The rear speakers are blown out and the front ones sound terrible, so as a Head-Fier, this must change. I have a new head unit for it (an Aiwa CDC-X204, with aux input and one amp output), so I'm looking to replace the speakers and possibly add an amp. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. All I know is that I'm looking for moderately strong bass, I have a ~$500 budget (though this is Head-Fi, so I'm flexible on it), and the dashboard comes stock with two spots for tweeters. Any suggestions?

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Sigh. Car 'audio' is really barking up a hollow tree.

Your rear speakers are blown so that's good. You want some strong speakers up front positioned where they will give decent imaging. On your budget, this will probably mean a component set in the doors, sound deadened. On my truck I had drivers in the doors, fiberglass kickpanels, front and rear subs....you really can go completely over the top and still have something that sounds terrible.

Subs don't really matter, a nice single sub in a sealed enclosure will be fine. A good head unit with crossover features and preouts is what you want.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 7
If you can find a nice set of component speakers for the front and a sealed, powered sub for the rear, you should be in good shape.

component meaning the tweeters are separate, and there is a crossover.

I think "cardomain" is decent place to start looking:

http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Co...peaker+Systems

Here's a sub package:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITBCKT110150

You can go with any headunit you like, as long as it has some decent power for your front speakers, and an RCA out for your sub. (My pioneer headunit has been awesome)

Anyway, do some research and try hard to keep to your budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Dan

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 7
How important is car audio to you? The reason why I'm asking is because a lot of people only use their vehicle to get from point A to B. I have a lot of friends that have expensive car audio systems but took the home/PC audio route. It's really hard to get good acoustics in a car due to the placement of the speakers and the non ideal acoustic environment. I have a 94 camry but it has a lot of miles on it....almost 200k, and I personally wouldn't want to do anything more than what I have. I have an alpine CD Deck (can't play mp3), stock side doors, and some blaupunkt speakers I got from a relative for the rears. The blaupunkt speakers bass is pretty boomy, but has really short excursion rate (as is expected).

I don't even think you need an amp unless your going to be getting subs. I have the speakers fed to my 50 watt per channel deck and only listen up to volume 13 (this info might not be relative). Definately try getting speakers first and trying them out with your deck. If you still feel that it does not have sufficient bass, add a sub + amp.

Also, for subs, don't get Kicker. The SQ on Kickers suck and dont sound as good or boomy as JL Audio. I've been in cars with both, and the JL's kick hard and have decent/good SQ (couldn't tell cause I was enjoyin the ride ^_^)!

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 7
I would replace the front speakers with the M3 series Diamond audio coaxs they can be had very cheap and run them off the head unit. The infinity sub/amp package is good but a little pricey. My favorite SQ subs are Image Dynamics (cheapest series ID will be good here) but that still requires a box and am amp.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh I heard good things about the ID Max subs. I think Magnolia Hi Fi also sells diamond audio subs that can be used in cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back