car audio anyone?
Dec 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
i was just wondering how many head-fier's are involved in car audio?

since i got my br-1's and a new car, i have moved away from headphones and become more interested in car audio.

i wasn't really using my super.fi 5eb's so now i've gone to a pair of shure e2's for portable use around campus.

anyone around the car audio circles will know that it's more geared towards the younger audience and greatly (nearly completely
smily_headphones1.gif
) concerned with producing the loudest bass possble.

this conflicts with many head-fiers listening habits, but i'm a total bass-head and a pair of subs in my trunk brings me a lot more enjoyment then a perfectly flat response sitting on my head
smily_headphones1.gif

i also like DIY and car audio offers plenty of opportunities to do things for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways, here's my cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357470

if anyone else has an aftermarket sound system in their car, post it here!

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone around the car audio circles will know that it's more geared towards the younger audience

mostly, but there is a good population of old people. My friend's uncle works for RF and there are a good proportion of old/young at the meets I've been invited to see.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
greatly (nearly completely
smily_headphones1.gif
) concerned with producing the loudest bass possble.

yup. mostly spl competitions.

- -

that's cool you like car audio. just make sure you have an extra battery. I would rec. that so your alternator doesn't die.

Here's my site, updated like never. I think I did a lot more stuff before I quit my car (basically fell apart (lemon)).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/522042

So I forgot the login and created a new page today ...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523386

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 11
true, the competition/engineering side of car audio varies in ages, but the majority of car audio enthusiasts (i assume) are in the 16-24 age group.

with my old amp my current draw was reasonable, but with my new one i may have to get a high output alternator and/or another battery.

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Yep, driving and listening to music is like being in a sonic cocoon.

My car only cost £500 (VW Scirocco) but the decent and definitly not "bassy" sound system i've fitted to it cost over £700 and it usually carries a £3000 custom steel singlespeed mtb in the back.

My car is purely a means of getting from A to B whereas the mtb takes me past X, Y and Z usually whilst listening to my ety's.

biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 11
I got an integrated CD/MP3 player with my car (Mazda 3 hatchback), but cds are just too darn small. I had a plan of building a small computer from old parts (except the screen), stick a 40gb hard drive in it and connect it to the car's sound system.
But I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. I don't use my car nearly enough that it pays off to invest time on this (my dad uses it most of the time), and I'm going to transition to a motorbike soon (I hate traffic), so...

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and it usually carries a £3000 custom steel singlespeed mtb in the back.

So you didn't save much by losing all of the gears, eh?
lambda.gif

I'm still planning on building one up when I have enough spare parts, but so far I can't get enough of my regular dual suspension bike. It's too much fun!

For car audio, I have a nice set of components in the front, with a home built 10" sub in the trunk. I use my ipod on the road and I love the whole system.
I don't have any pics of it though.
My car is quiet like a mouse, but gets very noisy at highway speeds. I still get immense enjoyment out of it though and can often be found singing at the top of my lungs, although not when anybody else is in the car!

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 11
4 years ago I got into car audio strong. Back then, I would go crazy over car audio related stuff. I have spent too much on this and actually regret it now. But it was a fun hobby for the time and I made some good friends because of it.

I am still into car audio, but do it a little more lightly. Started putting a system in my new car but bad weather hit and I haven't finished. Now, instead of going for the all out nicest stuff, and into simple, good sounding solutions.

Even though I don't have the same affinity for car audio as I once did, I am quite anxious to setup my new stereo and listen to it.

BTW, my current setup is going into a 2005 Accord Sedan and will consist of:

JL Audio Cleansweep (so I can retain my factory 6 disc in dash cd player)
JL Audio ZR650 Components
JL Audio A6450 6 channel amplifier
JL Audio 12W3v3 (going to build a fiberglass enclosure in the corner of the trunk, try to make it look as "oem" as possible)
Audio Control DQXS 6 Channel equalizer (just a very nice equalizer that I had from my old setup in my Civic)
Some Dynamat sound deadening (gotta have the stuff, sound deadening = good)

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 11
I was very involved in car stereo in the early/mid -90's.
Built custom door and kick panels, and put subwoofers/amplifiers in the trunk.

I still have my two latest amplifiers (incl. box and manuals):
* Soundstream Class A 10.0 (Class A, 2x25 watt @ 4 ohm, 1x1000 watt @ 0.25 ohm)
* Soundstream Class A Picasso (Class A, 4x25 watt @ 4ohm)

These are for sale if anyone might be interested!
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm putting in my first system as we speak. I'm building it as a strictly SQ system. So far this is what I've got:

Alpine IVA-W200 Head Unit/DVD Player
Focal Polyglass 165V2 Componet's up front
Zapco Reference 360.4 amp powering the Focal's
12in Cerwin Vega Vmax 12.2 in a 3/4 MDF braced sealed enclosure that I built myself. I got the sub for free so I used it, and you know what, it's pretty damn clean sounding in the sealed box. I like it better than Alpine's type R (my friend has 2)
Soundstream Pic1.900 D 900wRMS 1ohm mono subwoofer amp.

I have a question - can I install before dynamatting, or do I have to do that first?

As good as the sub sounds, it's the weakest link in the system. Next step is to pick up a Zapco 500.1 and a Focal 27KX. That should have me a pretty nice sounding system.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Most of the people I know think car audio is just about subwoofers (or rather fairly large amount of loud one-noted bass). Well its not! Much, much more to it.

I'm not that crazy into car audio so heres what I have.

Sony headunit which can play MP3/WMA disc and is iPod ready.
Alpine Type-S 5x7" speakers in the front door panel powered by the headunit.
Pioneer 6x9" speakers in the rear deck powered by the headunit as well.
Infinity 10" subwoofer (dual voice coil at 2 ohm) in a 0.75 cubic ft. enclosure powered by a Sony amp.

Sounds pretty darn good for a modest system and I don't think I'll notice the finest detail difference in sound quality when driving on the road since my car isn't so quiet and the exhaust system is somewhat loud at mid RPM.
What I want to do is add a 2 channel amp which is like about 50W RMS to power the front speakers and I think i'm just about done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back