Car-Amp possibility?
Feb 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Modulus

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could inform we as to whether it is possible to use an amplifier for car stereos to power headphones. I thought of this because car amps are sold fairly cheaply and may provide a good budget option.

Any ideas?

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 7
I dont know if that would provide a good option. Many mainstream car amps are of poor quality. The fairly good ones like Arc Audio are NOT cheap. If you're going to put down $100-$150 and buy a mainstream car amp and then look for ways to hook it up to your headphones, i think that's a bit of a hassle. Besides, they're not going to make your headphones sound like they're supposed to. Another thing would be power output. Its overkill. I recommend you spend that amount on a dedicated headphone amp. That money will go a long way as you'll be able to take your headphone amp with you anywhere you go; you cant take a car amp with you
icon10.gif
A very good choice would be the Mini3 or a XXS. Look into them. I promise they wont disappoint. Just my 2 cents!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the advice! I live in South Africa you see and it's quite hard to get headphone amps anywhere, so I've been trying to come up with an alternative, mostly looking at simply buying a stereo stand-alone hi fi amplifier. Are those even better than dedicated headphone amps? Can one also plug a speaker system into a headphone amp?

Sorry to bunch questions!

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 7
There are some headphone amps with speaker outputs, but I believe they require high efficiency speakers since the amps output fairly low wattage as compared to, say, a surround-sound receiver/amplifier.

Maybe someone else can can comment.

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Dont worry about living in South Africa. Meier Audio ships worldwide at the posted price, not a dime extra. Just pay the posted price and he'll get it to you guaranteed. Awesome product and amazing customer service! Believe me when I say this, NOBODY (99%) on this website has bought their headphone amp from a local store. Everyone buys them online!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 7
x2 on the Meier audio amps. Jan Meier ships international, and makes some fine products. Take a look for one in the FS forum.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the Meier audio amps. Jan Meier ships international, and makes some fine products. Take a look for one in the FS forum.

Yeah, what he said.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back