Car Accident, Updated
Oct 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DSlayerZX

500+ Head-Fier
Ok..... I know this may not be the bets place to ask this question, but I just got involved in a car accident yesterday.

well.... it happened when I was backing out of my garage, I assume (=_=.. yeah... bad thing to do ) that there is no car behind me, due to the fact is all red line and labeled no parking along the line. so.... I back up, stop, well... didn't stop fast enough... so I slightly bumped the car...

There is like a 3 cm indentation on the car's left fender, we went to Nissan's factory store and they said that repairing it would cost 672 dollar.
angry_face.gif

What should I do under this situation.

ps. try not to get insurance into this situation, since I am only 20... and from what i know, my insurance rate will go way up if I ever report this.
And also, by the way, I live in California, America

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 17
The best thing to do is consult someone knowledgeable in the law, like anonymously to an insurance agent, lawyer, etc.

If it isn't your responsibility, do not take responsibility for it.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 17
So you backed into an illegally parked car, correct?

Ya your still responsible.

How bout this. Does the person you have have no fault insurance? If they do offer to pay their deductable. Basically they file on their insurance that some anonomous person hit their car. Of course its very possible the deductable is close if not more than the damage.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 17
My wife once drove too close to another car in a parking lot (that car was parked illegally) and broke its driver's side mirror. It didn't damage my wife's car. But we did damage another car (illegally parked or not--it was a very full lot). We left a note and paid for the other car's repair (around 300 bucks or so, I believe). I could have consulted a lawyer friend, but decided that the right thing to do was to pay for the repair. If we had been paying more attention, we could have missed the other vehicle. But we weren't. We did not go the insurance route as the damage was minor. So we paid. And now we have ensured for ourselves a place in heaven or West Virgina or whereever.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, consult someone who know the local laws.
That said, don't you have back mirrors on cars over there?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we paid. And now we have ensured for ourselves a place in heaven or West Virgina or whereever.

rofl.gif

Love it!

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 17
I always the back mirror, and check for cars... somehow my mind just automatically said, OK, there is no car in the back, or simply.... i didn't notice it... the car is black sigh... stupid me...
finally thought I have enough money to buy a DAC for my self for my 21st birthday.. i guess i blew it.

talking to the car owner now. checking other places for car repair.. that does not cost 672 dollar to fix a indented fender =_=

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 17
If the car was parked illegally then I would forget about it. If you are a good guy (which you sound like you are) then offer to pay half and let the owner pick up the rest. The law isn't always just.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 17
As far as I know in California, any time a car is backing up and strikes a non moving car, it's the fault of the car backing up. You are at fault at least in my state.

See ya
Steve

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 17
$700 is cheap compared to what your adjusted insurance will likely be.

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$700 is cheap compared to what your adjusted insurance will likely be.

This...

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a person parked their car across your driveway, would it be your fault if you hit it? I'd say **** 'em.

Yeah it would be your fault. Just because someone parks illegally, does not give you the right to hit their car.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 17
alright, update

I ended up paying $762 total for the repair

and just few hours ago, my car got hit (lightly) by the other car..

just one question, if I report to insurance, will my rate increase?
I am pretty sure this accident is not my fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back