Captain Beefheart...
Feb 10, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DJ Mauler

500+ Head-Fier
Sup guys i recently heard an old radio program i had on mp3 spotlighting some of his work, and was wondering if any of you heads out their know enough to give me a few pointers of some of his stuff to pick up.

not everything but basically what has the best work hes done..

lemme know, didnt know he was on Willie The Pimp that song is dope.

anyways let the suggestions flow

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
Sup guys i recently heard an old radio program i had on mp3 spotlighting some of his work, and was wondering if any of you heads out their know enough to give me a few pointers of some of his stuff to pick up.

not everything but basically what has the best work hes done..

lemme know, didnt know he was on Willie The Pimp that song is dope.

anyways let the suggestions flow

I know his stuff from the early years (Safe As Milk) until the early 70's (Spotlight Kid).

The early stuff is varied, with some doo wop, some garage rock feel, but not too twisted.

I love the Mirror Man sessions (late 60's) -- the band stretches out on some nice long psychedelic blues jams.

Trout Mask Replica is considered by many to be his greatest album -- it has a number of shorter tracks, but flows well as an overall album.

I'm sure Aman and others will chime in for his later albums...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 15
Trout Mask Replica is pretty much his seminal album, produced by frank zappa. definitely start with that.

or for a more straightforward Beefheart, his first album, Safe as Milk is a good bet... featuring the peerless Ry Cooder on guitar.

i'd also recommend picking up Bongo Fury, the album he did with zappa. not everyone loves it, but i've got a soft spot for it in my pants, um, heart.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 15
I think the essential, can't live without albums are:

Trout Mask Replica

and

Bongo Fury (with Frank Zappa)

From the later stuff I'd start with

Doc at the Radar Station.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd go with Safe As Milk. The 1999 remaster with the bonus tracks sounds fine. I've had Trout Mask Replica forever on the original double vinyl, but still haven't fallen under the spell that so many others claim it holds over them. Pull it out occasionally, and a friend even sent me a copy of the CD to try, but ... might be too late. But Safe As Milk I love. If you do get it, skip the bonus tracks and listen to just the original sequence. Explore them later if you want, but get to know the album first. Electricity!

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
how thanks guys, thats like 3 votes for trout mask replica ill prolly pick that up tonight

I would put in a really strong vote for Mirror man sessions as a balance to Safe as Milk or Trout Mask:

"The Mirror Man Sessions features the complete remastered contents of Mirror Man, albeit in a resequenced running order, and fills out the rest of the CD with a number of bonus tracks taken from additional recordings, both finished and unfinished, made around the same time for what would have been a double album titled It Comes to You in a Plain Brown Wrapper. As a listening experience, the package will appeal more to those who value the instrumental Beefheart; the Mirror Man album is, of course, essentially a 50-plus-minute jam session, containing as it does only four songs, and the bonus tracks -- many of which appeared on the One Way label's reissue of Safe as Milk -- mostly consist of jams and instrumentals which push the boundaries of conventional blues-rock, with a Beefheart vocal tossed in here and there. Some may miss Beefheart's surreal poetry, gruff vocals, and/or free jazz influence, while others may find it fascinating to hear the Magic Band simply letting go and cutting loose."

(from allmusic)

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 15
I wanted to pick up Trout Mask Replica while I was in Zulu Records the other day, but they appeared to have every Beefheart album _but_ that one in stock. Weird. Sigh.

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15
I'd not recomend jumping into trout mask replica right away, it could be just too damn strange for many out there.
Safe as Milk is a safe bet, along with The Clear Spot.

but really, there are a few great beefheart websites out there, search for them.

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Trout Mask Replica is doubtlessly his best work. An avant-garde masterpiece. That said, if people in this thread are correct in assuming that it will be too "out there" for you, then Captain Beefheart may not be an artist for you.

Anyhow, if you'd like to check out Captain Beefheart, and have an open mind, and one that is full of musical talent and experimentation, then check out these important Beefheart titles (in this order, too):

1. Trout Mask Replica
2. The Spotlight Kid
3. Safe as Milk
4. Doc at the Radar Station
5. Ice Cream for Crow
6. The Mirror Man Sessions (this will show you a side of Beefheart never found on any other recordings of him!)

If you're a Zappa fan, then definitely check out Bongo Fury, featuring Beefheart as the singer/harp-player. Also get Hot Rats for "Willie the Pimp".

Feb 11, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 15
Trout Mask Replica is defnitley out there. It's hard for me to listen to the whole thing straight through, but it's amazing nonetheless. If I were you I'd start with Safe As Milk and then move through his albums chronologically. That way by the time you get to Trout Mask Replica, it won't be so shocking and you'll enjoy it more.

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 15
Wow I can't believe somebody started a Captain (Don Vliet) Beefheart thread.Is Trout Mask Replica really the best album jacket of all time? It gets my vote! Its not his best music but buy the LP and hang it on the wall. Its so cool.Captain Beefheart started out making great music and then he kind of got lost and then he finished off making great music again.Safe As Milk is a great record and is a good place to start.His last 3 albums,(Shiny Beast,Doc at the Radar Station,Ice Cream for Crow) are all essential.For those who feel Trout Mask Replica is his best,Lick My Decals Off,Baby is also very similar but also not one of my favorites.His pre Safe As Milk R&B sides are also a fun listen.If someone would now start a Pretty Things thread telling us how great S.F. Sorrow and Parachute are,I will probably soil my pants.

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Never was a big Captain Beefheart fan, but remember seeing him in concert in the early 70s opening for Frank Zappa. My memory of my impression is that he was very good, but verging on "novelty" at the time. I think that's part of the reason he was ignored for a time. But certainly a brilliant musician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back