Capitance - value of uF and its relation with SQ
Feb 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 15
its type of use specific / type of cap specific / brand of cap specific /

all depends.

Search power supple capacitance
google cutoff frequency
search cap bypass

should find all the answers you're after.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 15
ha, havent you opened up a can of worms....

such a broad subject as to not have an answer

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its type of use specific / type of cap specific / brand of cap specific /

all depends.

Search power supple capacitance
google cutoff frequency
search cap bypass

should find all the answers you're after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha, havent you opened up a can of worms....

such a broad subject as to not have an answer

Thank you for your reply.

Well I'm just wondering how you make the decision to choose the one value over the other.

Based upon a certain factor, i guess its not realistic to list all
But maybe humor me with an example, so i get the drift.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Calculations based purely on values will give you straightforward answers. For example changing the input/output coupling capacitor on an amplifier will directly effect the frequency response of the amp.

But there's lots of other things to take into account from an engineering perspective, structure, dielectric material etc.

Then a top of that there's lots of subjective things people consider too. Lots of people prefer one brand/line of caps over another etc.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 15
true, throw in the mix of opamps/DAC it'll be an interesting flavor to the sound.
So i guess its vague yet there is a distinct difference with the characteristics.

Any of you guys tried interesting combos?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any of you guys tried interesting combos?

You just answered your own question. Try different stuff and listen for yourself.
wink.gif

I really like Blackgate NX so far, and have a pair of V-caps on order, so I can find out what all the talk is about.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 15
I've tried a bunch in my modded Lite DAC-AH...Obligatto, Audience, Sonicap, Mundorf, Russian PIO and Teflons, RelCap RTX. My favorite to date is the Mundorf Silver In Oil caps. Very, very nice sounding for the money.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Capitance - value of uF and its relation with SQ

No offense, but that's an overly simplistic way of viewing things. If circuits didn't demand higher capacitance because of the physical laws involved, there'd be no reason to have electrolytic caps in the first place.

Since we do, we have to deal with the fact that they don't sound as good as other caps (film caps). Now does that mean anything if they're in the power supply as opposed to the signal path? Maybe ... maybe not ... it depends.

Generally, electrolytics are large and slow. So, if you want the most detail and the fastest response, go with small films ... but the bass (requires the most power) may suffer. If you want the most bass and the most power, go with large electrolytics ... but the detail may suffer.

Hope that helps ...
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 15
You're right.
I'm viewing it at a very simple terms because I don't know any better.

There are many variables placed into the whole scheme that makes the end sound different and SQ different too.

For now this is my understanding or lack of, so far.
Thanks for the response.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 15
eet eis simple! With the caps which are too small the bass suffers and colapses.

With large enough caps the bass is big and full.

This marks the begining of my effort to hit 10K posts.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solution: Use big electrolytic caps for bass and bypass them with small film caps for the highs. Many amps use this design.

Better solution: use a design that isolates AC and DC current loops such that the signal doesn't go through the caps at all, and don't use any other than for ripple smoothing and HF stability.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better solution: use a design that isolates AC and DC current loops such that the signal doesn't go through the caps at all, and don't use any other than for ripple smoothing and HF stability.

There's that too
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back