Capacitor Types Clarification wanted--esp. relating to Singlepower usage
Sep 8, 2007 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
I am hoping that someone can help clear up a little confusion about the various cap types for me, especially as it related to Singlepower terminology. (I am going over a final checklist on an amp order.) At the end of this PM I have pasted a description of the Moon Audio upgrade caps for the Supra to give the context I am referring to. I've done a lot using the search function, but too many results not related to my question shows up.

I've found these different types of caps mentioned:

Plate Voltage Input caps

Input caps (term used in many posts but not specifically referred to, this briefly, in the upgrade list on Moon Audio)

Power caps

Cathode caps

Audio Output caps (large and extra large varieties)

Blackgate Output caps

Coupling caps (Audio Notes in my instance)

Buffer caps (not on the Moon Audio list by that name)

Specifically:

Are the Input and the Cathode caps the same thing?

I think the Blackgate Output caps are different from the Coupling cap, but can someone confirm?

Are the two large round cylinders (next to the power supply) on top of a Supra the "Output caps," the "Audio Output caps," the "Coupling caps,"or what? (Scroll down this link for a picture: http://www.moon-audio.com/singlepower.htm as well as full description of upgrade options.)

Regarding the "Audio Output Caps," are these different than the regular Blackgate "Output caps?"

Then at least in regards to the Supra XLR there seem to be Stage 1 and Stage 2 Power caps.

Thanks for any help,

Laurence

Moon Audio Partial Listing of Singlepower Cap Upgrades:
http://www.moon-audio.com/singlepower.htm

Audio Note Silver Foil in Oil Coupling Capacitors
V-Cap Coupling Capacitors

Extra Large Audio Output Capacitors
Large Audio Output Capacitors

Solen Plate Voltage Input Capacitors

Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage 1

Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage 2

Black Gate Cathode Capacitors

Black Gate Output Capacitors

Sep 8, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 3
I am trying to keep all these cap options you listed straight in my head
blink.gif
.... so here goes.

First, I am not aware of an input cap and an input cap is not the same as the cathode cap if one does exist. The cathode cap is essentially another coupling cap. The cathode cap couples the gain stage tube to the output tubes. The so called coupling cap= V-caps etc..., in this context, couples the tube/ output stage to the output caps. The output caps output to the headphone.

The other caps in the amp are in the power supply. The large caps you see sticking out the chassis, in the MPX3 for example, are resevoir/ storage caps. Also in the power supply are smaller filtering caps. Blackgates are excellent filtering caps and usually the upgrade cap SP uses of late. There is also a shunt cap in the power supply and I dont know how to explain this caps fuction completely .... so I am not going to try.

Specifically Solen stage 1/2 caps are power supply filter caps. Stage 2 upgrades simply provide more filtration than the stage 1 upgrade. This will be the same for Blackgate stage 1/2 upgrades, but blackgates are generally recognized as being superior caps to the solens. Blackgates are used for cathode caps, output caps and filtering caps in the power supply; as explained above. Audio Note and V-caps are the coupling caps, again, from the output tube to the output caps. Again, I have no idea what plate voltage input caps are. I think this is some mistake in terminology.

I tried to keep this simple and hopefully I was not to redundant.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to keep all these cap options you listed straight in my head
blink.gif
.... so here goes.

Thanks Earl now I don't feel so bad!
blink.gif
wink.gif

I think in my confusion, and from the mists of my fading memory of going over some threads a few months ago, I may have confused the term input tube for an input cap. Thanks for the clarification. I can't say I have it all down (like what are those large and extra large Audio Output caps), but this gives me a much better idea.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back