capacitor question
May 31, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know the answer to that.

But the fact that you don't even tell people what make/model amp you are planning on doing this in and provide so little information probably means you are not ready to be doing that kind of modification work :wink:

May 31, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 5
You also didn't mention which capacitors, their function, their capacitance, or what stands to be improved by changing them. The amp's designers would have known the answer to these questions. Perhaps you should trust their choice of components.

May 31, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi i am thinking about changing my capacitor in my headphone amp which has a 630v. Can i use a 600v or must i use a 630v one.

You need to have a good knowledge about electronic circuits before you start using different values, there's no telling what that change might do.

Past that, if you get some exotic kind of capacitor like Mundorf, make sure you check the physical size because those things are typically a lot larger than an equivalent Nichicon for example. Speaking of Nichicon, honestly between Mundorf and those there's not any difference I can hear - it's more of replacing some really crappy caps with something decent, but between a decent capacitor and an expensive one, you might as well spend the money on something else. Like more music.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Speaking as someone who designs and modifies vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, you shouldn't be messing around with capacitors if you don't know their exact function in the circuit. There's a reasonable chance it might be a power supply filter cap, which can store enough charge to kill you if you're not careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back