Capacitance of the ESL diaphragm (questions about how the ESL works)
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 18
I feel like I'm getting a hang of this, the link analogsurviver posted was very informative and I've been talking to different people..
Part of the actual amplifier design still puzzles me as I only have a basic understanding of electronics (1 semester mekatronik class), but I do understand the principles which is enough for now. I now realize that's what has been problematic, the physics as such weren't.
A thanks to all who participated :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 18
Bump with a couple of new questions..

I guess it is amplifier dependent but what is the capacitive load on the amplifier when driving an ESL?

Is it true that when driving an ESL with the often seen transformer configuration with 1 stator connected to each side of the transformer windings, the load will be equivalent to the capacitance of stator 1 and 2 in a series configuration?

On another note, ESLs are known for developing channel imbalance. Any scientific explanation to why?

Thanks for reading :)

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 18
cable can be significant too ~100-200 pF range should cover most ES headphones+cable at the amp end

C load is a problem for some negative feedback amps - has to be included in design considerations for ES amps

likely channel imbalance is due to electrical leakage draining one side diaphragm charge more than the other or diaphragm tension mismatch could have some effect

but you could lose a stator drive signal from a broken wire or amp and still get audio from the remaining stator driving the diaphragm from one side at lower level and with more distortion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back