cap values for the Jan Meier crossfeed?
Jan 8, 2005 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
Are the cap values important here, or are they just minimum values? Like the inputcaps in an amp.

The reason I ask is to understand what the caps' role is in this circuit. Will the caps' value affect the bassbost for instance? What happens if I increase the values?

I've attached my drawing of the crossfeed, which hopefully is correct, so you can easily find the caps' values provided by Meier.

Knut

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 6
After some thinking, I believe I understand parts of this circuit.

The input signal is spilt, and the highest frequencies will take the path through the 330 ohm resistor, while the lower frequencies is blocked by the cap and are forced through the 2 kOhm resistor. What is the crossoverfrequency here, wouldn't this crossover frequency depend on the headphone impedance?

I might be thinking all backwards here, but why would a bassenhancement filter have a higher resistance for the lowest frequencies?

The cap between the two 2K2 resistors is of a much higher value and have a higher crossover point!? I'm thinking the crossover point is above 20kHz to remove higher order distortions or such? But why would there be resistors in the path if the crossover frequency is >20kHz? Is it really just a dampening of the higher audible frequencies, thus providing the bass enhancement?

Appreciate any explainations or links to relevant info.

Knut

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 6
There is an extensive explanation of the frequency/time cross points and why these were chosen at both the Headwize Project Library (see links section) and at the Meier Audio web page (see Head-Fi sponsers for link).

but the short answer is yes,the cap values are very important if you want to maintain the intended response

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
There is an extensive explanation of the frequency/time cross points and why these were chosen at both the Headwize Project Library (see links section) and at the Meier Audio web page (see Head-Fi sponsers for link).

but the short answer is yes,the cap values are very important if you want to maintain the intended response

Hmm, can't believe I didn't find the info on the Meyer site after searching there for some time... Anyway, thanks for the links, it seems I've got some reading to do
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyone feel free to explain the attached circuit for me anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back