Cant's get a proper seal with Super.fi 3
Feb 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dakkar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just bought a pair of super.fi 3 which seemed like a good pair for the price range and which is supposed to be quite comfortable, according to various reviews. My problem is as follow. This is my first pair of in-ear, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've read all the instructions and watched the explanation video. But, so far, I have not been able to get a seal in my ear with any of the 5 differents tips provided. The only way to get any decent sound is to hold them down with my fingers. Obviously, at some point, I would like to be able to walk around without covering my ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

What could I be doing wrong? Are there any replacement buds that would give a better fit?
confused.gif

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 12
You should try flip modding them. Search for the instructions on here, but they are also on the UE site. Basically you swap the cords and wear them in the opposite ears. Results in a better, lower-profile fit.

Also, I use mine with the gray foamies inside the double flanges and it gives a nice fit. You can also use the Shure black olives, but it takes a bit of work since they are smaller in diameter than the SFs. What I did was remove the inner sleeve from the UE foamies and put it in the olives (after removing their inner sleeve of course). It's not ideal (sometimes the olive stays in your ear--but it's no big deal), but the seal is very good and very comfortable.

I use the olives for the gym and the flange/foamies for regular use.

Here's a link: Ultimate Ears - super.fi MOD

Try to make it work because they are really a great set for the price.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 12
You're a genius! Thanks!

Yeah, Could you point me in the right direction for those olives? I finally get a seal that stay when I start pressing!

I have the small inserts. Do the olives come in that size?

Sorry I'm a noob to in ear, so I need the basic info!

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 12
You can get the Shure black foam tips (olives) on e-bay. They come in S/M/L.

If you were using the silicone flanges at the gym, I'm not surprised they were a problem (even with the flip mod and foamies underneath). I had the same issue once the sweat started to flow. The olives didn't have that problem (for me at least).

I'm going to leave the other recommendations mostly to other people since I too am new at this whole thing. With that said, for running, especially outside, I use Sennheiser PX100s because they stay on and you can hear the traffic.

Check out this thread for more gym suggestions: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...se-gym-296781/

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm back from the gym. Not bad, but not best either. I need a fit that is more resistant to running/exercise. What would you recommand?
smily_headphones1.gif

Do know: The olives have a much smaller opening than the size of the nozzle of the UE's so you may need something to stretch them (i.e. pliers). I would also suggest trying the medium tips, just to see how they fit or if they won't stay in.

EDIT: BTW, I do have the Shure Olives on my Ety ER-6i's currently and they make them so much better, IMO. I will try soon to get one onto my Super.fi nozzle, but it is going to be tricky I can tell.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 12
To make the Shure Olives fit easier on the Super.fi's, just take out the plastic tubing in the middle and they slide right on. Very comfortable and better isolation. I use them without the flip mod and think they're very comfortable.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelusjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To make the Shure Olives fit easier on the Super.fi's, just take out the plastic tubing in the middle and they slide right on. Very comfortable and better isolation. I use them without the flip mod and think they're very comfortable.

how did you go about this exactly? just pry it off with a knife or something?

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 12
What's the "real" name of those Olives? Just made a search on ebay for "Shure Olive" and it didn't show anything.

Yeah, the mod really helps, but not quite enough for a lasting thight seal in my ear.

Unfortunatelly, it seems I irritated my right ear a bit too much and it is now very sore. I'll have to give it a few days rest before any more tryout.

Could you post a link to the olives?

Thanks for all the answers!
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 12
? Just purchased some shure foam from discountheadphones.com. I paid through paypal, but I have not received any confirmation of any sort from them. Do any of you have any good/bad feedback regarding that seller?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back