Cantate Unboxing & Impressions (+ pics)
Sep 19, 2007 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
The first of the SS amps that I have ordered arrived today, the Meier Audio Corda Cantate. Today begins the shakedown. Keep in mind that I just received the amp, so it has not been burned in yet. Also, this is only my third amp after having tried the Headroom Total BitHead and purchased the iBasso D1.

First, here's some pics:

As soon as the postman handed this box to me, I suspected this amp was very solidly built.

1404545700_d7a5244d11_o.jpg

The user manual is inside a plastic binder. I though some German kid lost his book report.
eggosmile.gif

1403662421_7d1a00fc00_o.jpg

The amp was in a form fitting foam cocoon. The power cable is very beefy.

1403662563_0b6969070b_o.jpg

Finding a home on the desk top. Hello Mr. Moodlab!

1403662681_186e0db220_o.jpg

Let the fun begin...

1404546168_0527aad4e5_o.jpg

Setting Up:
As I said before, this thing is really solid. The first thing I had to do was hook it up. Unfortunately, my DAC is not quite as solid as the Cantate. Upon removing the RCA cables from it, one of the metal jackets came clean off of the connector. I was pretty pissed. It took a bit of tender love to pry it off of the tight-fitting cable that I had connected. Thankfully, I didn't do any lasting damage to the Dice.

Cranking Her Up:
It's always tough to decide what to listen to first, but I settled Spacek's "Smiles and Roses" to get an initial impression and shake down the bass notes of the amp. It passed with flying colors. To be honest, since switching to the moodlab Dice, even the iBasso D1 (my previous all-rounder) was able to produce a pleasing sound way down deep.

Speaking of the D1, I decided to do a little bit of comparing between these two amps, switching digital sources back and forth during songs. First up was the Roots' "Act Too." The iBasso was a bit brighter, which can be a little confusing because sometimes we perceive loudness as an indicator of quality. However, when switching back to the Cantate, I realized how deceiving that can be. At the same relative level (didn't have time to grab the SPL meter), the Cantate has a fuller sound. For me, it seemed as though the whole range of frequencies came across in the presentation. On Coltrane's "Equinox," the Cantate filled more space than the D1. The Cantate seemed to bring me closer to the performers.

Heeding lerio's advice, I placed the included shunts on the main board to lower the gain of the amp. I actually shopped for amps with switches for this setting, but I was so impressed with reviews of this amp that I decided to get this one even though you have to go under the hood to change the gain setting. One of the things that it allowed me to do was listen to my Westone UM2s. I had never been able to use them with the iBasso due to it's high gain setting. With the Cantate, I was able to listen to these IEMs without the discomfort of the D1. However, I think the combination of the Dice and the Cantate makes for a slightly boomy presentation with the UM2s. But at least I was able to use them without losing any hearing. Truthfully, there's really no reason to use the UM2's in this setting anyway. I really purchased them to use in settings where background noise interrupts my enjoyment of music. With my HD650s, the presentation was very similar to the high gain setting. Others have claimed to hear an improvement on the low setting, but maybe I need to spend more time with the amp first. I'm not sure if this setting improves the presentation or not, but I was able to crank the volume all the way up with little discomfort. So the shunts came back off.

Crossfeed:
Another intriguing feature of the Cantate is the crossfeed switch. I did a few listening tests to find out how it changes the dynamics of some of my recordings. Here are some of my notes:

"With the crossfeed off, all the sound seems to be originating from my ears. But when switched on, the music seems to come from the corners of my eyes."

(on Sergio Mendes' "Magano")..."Crossfeed is pushing the vocals forward from my ears to my eyes. The result seems to be clearer or more accurately, less cluttered vocals. They don't have to compete with instruments"

(on Herbert's "Leave Me Now")..."With crossfeed off, the fine details of the recording are a little more noticeable."

(on Coltrane's "Giant Steps")..."When crossfeed is on, the very bottom register of the sax and bass are lost. I can hear them **** around, but the bottom drops out."

(on the Beastie Boys' "Gala Event")..."...not as punchy with crossfeed on."

To summarize, crossfeed slightly widens the instrumental soundstage and is most effective with presenting vocals in a more forward fashion. However, it also sacrifices some detail as well. I've decided to leave it off.

USB DAC:
This is one of the letdowns with the amp. It almost sounds identical to the iBasso D1. That is to say, not quite as good as the other digital connections. I'd already realized that music from my MacBook Pro sounds better using the digital out into the iBasso and even better into the Dice. Really, I'm wondering if this has more to do with my computer. Because the sound is pretty consistent between the two amps. I've already come to the conclusion that the Dice sounds better forgoing the USB input, so this is moot.

DISCLAIMER:
Again, these are my initial impressions after having just received the amp a few hours ago. Everything could change. I'll continue to post as things progress. Plus, I've still got 3 more amps on the way for the Battle Royale!
blink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Congrats on your purchase my friend! Dr.Meier product seem so solid and beautifull at the same time like a golden rose!
tongue.gif

It's cool to see that you get an upgrade with the cantate. But at the same time i wonder why the USB out sound ounly as good a the D1. Is your D1 stock or did you rolled some opamps in there? If it is stock i am shocked! Cantate at this price should sound way better! But then it might only be that it have better amp but bad implemented DAC
confused.gif
. If you have the right cables for this you could try the cantate amp with the D1 DAC. Let us know how that sound.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you going to do with all those amps.

Well 2 amps aint nothing that a head-fier should wonder about...until it was a wink to get your hand on his D1
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you going to do with all those amps.

DIE A HAPPY MAN!
eggosmile.gif

Seriously, I'm sure i'm not going to keep them all. As a matter of fact, I'll probably only keep one. I'm sure that I'm not sending this one back. It'd be better to just sell it to someone stateside that's looking for one. But we'll have to see. I've very excited to just compare everything first. I'm still a noob but I'm sure it'll be useful to someone.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your purchase my friend! Dr.Meier product seem so solid and beautifull at the same time like a golden rose!
tongue.gif

It's cool to see that you get an upgrade with the cantate. But at the same time i wonder why the USB out sound ounly as good a the D1. Is your D1 stock or did you rolled some opamps in there? If it is stock i am shocked! Cantate at this price should sound way better! But then it might only be that it have better amp but bad implemented DAC
confused.gif
. If you have the right cables for this you could try the cantate amp with the D1 DAC. Let us know how that sound.

I'm not quite sure about that either. I though for sure the Cantate would beat the iBasso back on this test as well. I think it may just be down to the fact that I haven't burned-in the Cantate yet. Maybe the sound will change over time. I'll listen again tomorrow and report my findings. Then again, the iBasso is a really nice DAC/Amp combo. Maybe it over-performs for its price.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 11
I think the D1 out performs its price. I had changed out the capacitors for Black Gates and gotten in return a very full natural warmer sound. More like good tubes.

But back to your new amp. Great looking and a few hundred hours should up the sound. Have fun.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Nicely done initial impressions.

I agree with your thoughts on the crossfeed effects. Although it is definatly a case by case basis for the listening qualitys you described well, its use does seem to lessen not volume but a tiny but noticable bit of dynamic punch, IME with my Corda Opera also. As I reported elsewhere here.

Now, this is a fair trade off as I say, with some recordings. Moving the headstage forward while integrating the sound better with its subtle added stereo mixing can be a big benefit and worth the slight trade off in the Cordas maximum dynamic potential. So, I find I always test its use per album for best results...

Also, it will settle in over its initial 150 hr burn-in, slightly. IMO

Congrats, enjoy
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, this is a fair trade off as I say, with some recordings. Moving the headstage forward while integrating the sound better with its subtle added stereo mixing can be a big benefit and worth the slight trade off in the Cordas maximum dynamic potential. So, I find I always test its use per album for best results...

I agree. I was looking through a few of my CDs with this in mind. I didn't have time to listen to anything else, but I will tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that anything stripped down (say a trio or a vocalist and guitar) is probably going to sound really good. Likewise with really big ensembles.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Active crossfeed is one of the nicest features of the Meier lineup. It's kind of surprising though that Jan can't knock out a decent USB dac to go with such a high-quality amp. Makes me wish that these DAC components were socketed for DAC rolling (although theres alot of other things that go along with that)....

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heeding lerio's advice, I placed the included shunts on the main board to lower the gain of the amp. I actually shopped for amps with switches for this setting, but I was so impressed with reviews of this amp that I decided to get this one even though you have to go under the hood to change the gain setting. One of the things that it allowed me to do was listen to my Westone UM2s. I had never been able to use them with the iBasso due to it's high gain setting. With the Cantate, I was able to listen to these IEMs without the discomfort of the D1. However, I think the combination of the Dice and the Cantate makes for a slightly boomy presentation with the UM2s. But at least I was able to use them without losing any hearing. Truthfully, there's really no reason to use the UM2's in this setting anyway. I really purchased them to use in settings where background noise interrupts my enjoyment of music. With my HD650s, the presentation was very similar to the high gain setting. Others have claimed to hear an improvement on the low setting, but maybe I need to spend more time with the amp first. I'm not sure if this setting improves the presentation or not, but I was able to crank the volume all the way up with little discomfort. So the shunts came back off.

I guess Low Gain give his full Potential with headphone made for that (low indepance ?), Grado's are for sure one of them, not sure for a HD650
plainface.gif

I agree avout Crossfeed, for some tune or drum solo i disable it for the reason you said, but i like to have that option and use it or no with the button So agreeable to use too is a pleasure
cool.gif

Can't talk about DAC as i can only compare with Bithead (Cantate beat him by far) that will be interesting to read other opinion with people who have other DAC

Enjoy it
wink.gif

PS you led are red or yellow ?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back