Cantate arrived today
Sep 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tomjtx

500+ Head-Fier
Got the Cantate today and it sounds great.
A major improvement over my total airhead (of course :)

Listening with Transporter>Cantate>AKG701

I'll try my Ety4S and YuinPK1 next.

The 701's have about 270hrs and are sounding very good. Adding the Cantate out of the box makes a significant difference: fuller bass, smoother highs, better soundstage or sense of space, better dynamics more detail.

I think I will now hear the real potential of the 701's and they seem to be a great match for the Cantate.

I think I will be very happy with this amp.

Now I'm waiting on the Move (wish I had ordered them together) for my portable rig.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Thread with no pics = Thread that's no good

wink.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 12
Glad to hear you got your Cantate and enjoying it !

I have alsmot got my Cantate "burnt in" with the required hours and will be posting review of it along with my MAD Ear + purist Custom in the coming week !
600smile.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is useless without pics.

Gee guys, everyone one wants to look underneath the hood !
wink.gif

Hope this ties everyone over for a spell..........

Cantate_Internals.jpg

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Congrats on your new amp
How the synergy with K701 ?

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks LoweArt for postng the pic and coming to my rescue:)

with about 24hrs of burn in the amp is getting even sweeter in the highs and punchier in the bass.

My 701's are now at 300hrs so that is probably a factor as well (just so you can take that into account)

simxpower:

I think there is a great synergy with the 701 and Cantate. They are fed by my Transporter with ALAC files.

Violins sound great now and are not at all tiring, I find myself able to listen for hours with no fatigue.

Resolution is excellent even at low volumes and I don't need to up the volume for more detail or to get more "involved" in the music.

Dynamics are fantastic with this amp both macro and micro.
With string quartet each intrument is distinct and little swells of sound are easily heard from each instrument. Little crescendoes in a short phrase can be so important and so hard to recreate and this amp does them very well.

Orchestral crescendoes are immediate and big.
I had no idea of the dynamic range of the 701"s before hooking them up to the Cantate

Rythm and articulation and rythmic manipulation(rubato,ritards, staccato, marcato etc) are such an important part of musical expression (the term espresivo refers to playing with rythmic freedom)

These are a musicians terms (imo) for what audiofiles call PRaT.

The 701/Cantate combo has this in spades.

I couldn't ever call this combo sterile.

I haven't heard the Opera but hearing how good the Cantate sounds tempts me to sell a guitar to try one out :)

I just ordered a Move for my portable/bedroom system.

I guess I've just become a Meier fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back