Cantate.2 or other amp?
Jan 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

xz123

Head-Fier
Hello,

I've finally made the decision to get a stationary amp, currently thinking of the Meier Audio Cantate.2
Basically I'll use it for a HD650 (and just maybe my UE-11), and I definitely need the USB part of it.

So is there anything "better" in that price range (410€/~550$ in Germany)? I don't (neccessarily) need a tube amp, by the way.

I have a 2Move and like its "sound signature", so I guess I couldn't go too wrong with a Cantate.2?

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 24
Try Duet Apogee if you have a MAC~I heard its pretty unbeatable in its price range.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 24
Are you just using the Apogee as a USB DAC? Or to drive headphone too? It looks like a computer peripheral rather than something specifically for headphone amplification, but it probably makes a darn good DAC.

I have been recommended the Cantate for HD650s as Jan Meier tuned the Cantate to work well with them, so they certainly are very compatible. I ended up getting an M3 though since I already have a standalone DAC, and I like it a lot.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 24
@Feather225

Ugh, that's definitely to appleish
wink.gif

@scootermafia
ok, one opinion for the cantate. *count*

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Cool, I wanted to start a thread just like this one for a few days now.
I have my eyes on the Cantate.2 as well.
So far I saw a few other amps on here that seem good too but I also need USB, since PC will be the primary source and there is little info here in good usb dacs.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 24
I've got an iBasso D3 which has USB DAC and a line out which I can feed into an Arietta.

That way I get a portable amp plus a desktop amp with the functionality of a Cantate.

I think it works out cheaper too.

Steven.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 24
iBasso D3: $219
Corda Arietta: $225
Shipped price for both: $444
Cost of Cantate: $470
Having a good portable and a good desk amp and winning at life: Priceless

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 24
OK I finally made up my mind and ordered a Cantate.2 today.
All the features for this price and the fact that Meier Audio simply has first class service made me choose it.
And it's a very good match for the HD650.
I can give you my opinion how much better than the 2Move it is, after I get it.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I look forward to reading your comparison. I really like my 2Move, and I've been on the verge of ordering a Cantate for a few weeks. It'll be exactly the info I've been looking for.

And you're right about Dr. Meier's service. It truly is a pleasure doing business with him.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK I finally made up my mind and ordered a Cantate.2 today.
All the features for this price and the fact that Meier Audio simply has first class service made me choose it.
And it's a very good match for the HD650.

So can I.
Cause I've also ordered a Cantate.2, should arrive on Thursday or Friday.
smily_headphones1.gif

And about the service: Absolutely. Jan Meier even trusted that I transfered the money and sent out the amp (this time as well as with the 2MOVE before) before he could register the reception of it.

Looking forward to receiving it.. *drools*
wink.gif

(btw, king mark: you're just copying me! you want to get the UE-11 (like I have), you own the 2MOVE (as I do), you own the HD650 (as I do), you've ordered the CANTATE.2 (as I did), you dislike overpronounced highs (as I do). I'm scared now! Or I got a dissociative identity disorder!
..oh, I see you got an iPhone. No, you're definitely different. Brr, apple.. *shudders* )

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 24
Hihi, relax I got the HD650 long before you and I pulled back on the UE for now to buy the Cantate.2.
But my Cantate.2 will most likely arrive the same day as yours.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 24
I got the Cantate.2 yesterday and it's absolutely fantastic.
When I ordered I was afraid that the improvements might be hard to detect but this baby makes my phones play on a whole new level.
I did most listening with the HD650 and the sound improved in every way. The first thing I noticed is that the clarity and detail went way up. Now that there is a large pool of power for the phone to use it just seems to play much more effortlessly. I always felt that the bass of the HD650 had a great sound to it but was sometimes push back too far behind the mids, that's over now. The bass is always there, it just sounds sooo great and never overpowers any other parts of the spectrum.
I don't have many reference points to compare sound with and when I got my 2Move half a year ago I was very happy and I still am. It's a great amp that far outshines the usual sources like sound cards or MP3 players and even my Yamaha receiver.
I simply spend too much time here on Head-Fi, so the wish for a desktop amp grew with even better sound than the 2Move.
So if you think about getting the Cantate.2, I can say with confidence, just do it, it's worth every cent.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 24
thanks for the impressions king.mark. i've had good experiences with Meier amps myself.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 24
Just got mine today, too. (German DHL doesn't deliver in some (industrial) areas on saturdays).
Initial impression: Woah! Even more detailed/transparent sound than before, but the biggest change seems to be a way more "punchy", "pronunced/clear" (not sure how to better express what I mean) bass. And that's with me being a "sceptic" when it comes to amp differences.
And the thing itself weighs way more than I expected
wink.gif

Still, I have to compare this and my other outputs respectively 2Move and UA-25 with some songs "side by side", because it still might be just placebo-like. Will report back after some more critical listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back