Cant tell what is a good seal.
Feb 27, 2005 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

st4r0c3an

100+ Head-Fier
What is a good seal for e3c? Well, I dont really know what a good seal is... :/ Can you feel it? or do you have to listen for it?

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Push it into your ear until it punctures your eardrums, then back it out half a millimetre.
biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously, you'll hear it when it's there. Try putting them in your ears with the sound off, when it's as quiet as it gets you've got a good seal.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks... I am using the smallest transparent ones, and I "think" I got a ok seal.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 11
I was told by the SHURE man himself (sugarfried!, he rules!) that you should rub your fingers together about a foot away from the sides and if you hear that you dont have a good seal, if you dont hear it you have a good seal.

just rub your thumb and index finger together really quick and not hard, start at one side of you head and move your hand left to right, or right to left..
if you got a nice seal you wont hear nothing!

I do this to make sure I get a seal, it works for me

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 11
I always know when i have a good seal, you will feel the bass a lot more, and the will not here anything else if it's at a decent volume.

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 11
ooo, I wasnt inserting them properly before this, XD. Now I gotta retry all the sleeves :/

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I have the ER4P/S, and I test whether or not I have a good seal by gently attempting to pull them out. If they do not move out, and feel sealed, then I am good to go, but if I hear and feel them moving out, then I take them out and start over.

Also: After you get used to what they sound and feel like, you will probably be able to acquire a proper seal on your first try, and if you don't it will be pretty obvious.

Feb 27, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't get the sensation of "seal" with the foamies on the 4p's the way I do with the triflanges. With those, a good seal is easy to determine. The feeling is similar to when you have your ears plugged with water. As for the foamies, I don't get that sensation at all. Instead, I take a good bit of time compressing the foamies. Once compressed, I'll insert them as quickly and as deeply as I can. Really, the sound with and without proper seal is very easy to pick out. There's little substance to any part of the music without a good seal and position. It's as though everything is lacking and distant. Not sure if that description is understandable but I'm not good with all the fancy audiophile terminology. Hope this helps.

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I was told by the SHURE man himself (sugarfried!, he rules!) that you should rub your fingers together about a foot away from the sides and if you hear that you dont have a good seal, if you dont hear it you have a good seal.

just rub your thumb and index finger together really quick and not hard, start at one side of you head and move your hand left to right, or right to left..
if you got a nice seal you wont hear nothing!

I do this to make sure I get a seal, it works for me

A foot away????
I've been thinking it's right next to the earlobe. No wonder it takes me 5 minutes per ear of fussing about to finally get a good seal. I've been way too picky in seal quality....

Feb 28, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 11
Can someone please tell me which one of the flex sleeves is better, black or transparent? Can you please tell me the pros and cons of each? I dont like the foam and currently dont have tri-flagle.

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 11
well most people prefer the comfort of the softer black sleeves but the harder clear silicon sleeves sound a little better imho.. i can tell when i have a good seal by gently tapping on the case of the earbud when its in your ear... if it sounds really loud for a light tap its got a good seal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back