Can't tell the difference between ATH-M50s and ipod earbuds...
Jan 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

falmouth

New Head-Fier
Obviously this is not a knock on the ATH-M50s at all. It is a knock on my extremely pathetic, untrained ears. 

The question is, if I keep these, would I learn to appreciate them and would cheaper headphones eventually sound like crap to me? 

If I can learn to appreciate the sound quality of these headphones, then I would gladly keep them. I love the way they look and feel.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 49
The headphones themselves are not entirely responsible for the type of sound you're getting. What are you using them out of? What quality are the files you're playing? Are you using any sort of amplification?

Personally, I don't always notice an immediate difference between a certain pair of headphones; I'm not always floored by how good a new headphone sounds. But, I'll usually be able to notice how different the two headphones in question are in sound quality when I listen to the first, and presumably worse, pair after listening to the new headphones for a while.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 49
well, i recently went back on purpose to test my ears and listened to a pair of earbuds that come with my parents old radio, is it bad quality? yes, and im pretty sure it wont beat your ipod earbuds in terms of sound quality but could i stand the sound quality of it? yes, i have no problem listening to them. can i tell the difference from that and my sony z1000 or beyerdynamic dt990? yes to that too, but the difference is not like everyone on here says, at least to me. the difference is noticeable but not to the extent that i can only stand the sound quality of my best cans and nothing less. and about your listening ability, i dont know, i think it will probably grow on you as you listen to more gears and do more active listening and a/b test your gears more. my ears are not that well trained neither, so yeah... maybe more experienced headfiers can chime in to tell you their experience...

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 49
No amp. I know I typically need better quality audio than what I have, but all my audio is 256kbps at least, some 320kbps (no FLAC). I am using my macbook air lol. I am only doing it for listening to music while studying in the library, or watching random tv shows on netflix.

One thing I should mention is that I have fallen in love with the aesthetics of the white M50s. If I were to get another pair of headphones, I would probably want them to also have a certain aesthetic appeal.

This and Philips Citiscape Uptown which I purchased at the same time are my first non ipod eardbud headphones. I have never played any instruments or been involved in any music production whatsoever, so as I said, my ears are very untrained.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:
No amp. I know I typically need better quality audio than what I have, but all my audio is 256kbps at least, some 320kbps (no FLAC). I am using my macbook air lol. I am only doing it for listening to music while studying in the library, or watching random tv shows on netflix.

One thing I should mention is that I have fallen in love with the aesthetics of the white M50s. If I were to get another pair of headphones, I would probably want them to also have a certain aesthetic appeal.

This and Philips Citiscape Uptown which I purchased at the same time are my first non ipod eardbud headphones. I have never played any instruments or been involved in any music production whatsoever, so as I said, my ears are very untrained.

thats fine, my ears are very untrained too since im no musician... what you have is ok-ish... mp3 files to macbook to m50... i think you should try to get lossless files, if you cant get flac because you are using mac then use apple lossless, about dacs and amps, worry about that when you go for your next purchase

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 49
I could tell a difference between M50's and iPod earbuds. One sounds decent, the other some what awful. 

The M50's benefit from a bit of EQ though to make them sound good, they have to much bass that bleeds into the mids. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 49
Yeah thats kind of what I meant. If listening to my music normally through ATH-M50s would help me pick up things I haven't before, help me appreciate the different sounds in music more, I will gladly keep them. However, if it can't do this, then I see no point in keeping them bc my ipod earbuds provide a good enough quality for me.

So will this help make me ears more trained?

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 49
Also, is volume maybe an issue? Do I need to play these headphones at pretty loud volumes to fully appreciate different music? My computer volume is probably around 30% bc I don't want the sound leaking to the people around me.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:
Also, is volume maybe an issue? Do I need to play these headphones at pretty loud volumes to fully appreciate different music? My computer volume is probably around 30% bc I don't want the sound leaking to the people around me.

Loud will always sound better simply because you pick up more detail in the music. Some people listen to music at an absurd level, it's best to just listen the level you feel comfortable with.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Obviously not! Volume is never an issue (unless you have a high impedance headphones). I suggest people around to listen using low volume to understand better your music, but that's me.
It seems like you haven't use the Ath-m50 yet. Relax and try to see what you haven't heard before. Enjoy

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Obviously not! Volume is never an issue (unless you have a high impedance headphones). I suggest people around to listen using low volume to understand better your music, but that's me.
It seems like you haven't use the Ath-m50 yet. Relax and try to see what you haven't heard before. Enjoy

I have gotten them lol I got them earlier today. I literally alternated between ipod earbuds and these to see if there was a significant difference. Bass sounded much better, but maybe I just went in expecting something different?

Also... whats with all the sound leakage I thought these headphones were supposed to be great with that. Could it be bc my head is too small and the headphones don't fit tight enough? lol

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 49
I'm following this.

This is why I asked on another thread if there's a "headphone for dummies" to give a bit more "audiophile 101" to a starter.  I recognize a little bit of some sound characteristics by auditioning some headphones at a shop.  But I still don't hear most of what the rest of the people here talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back