Can't stop the urge...upgrade to HD 650?
Sep 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've recently got an urge to upgrade. Been using the HD595s for about a year and have grown quite fond of them. I love their midrange and especially the way they handle vocals. This time around I'm thinking of getting a headphone with more bass. While the HD595s bass was pretty good I'm looking for more impact and depth this time around. I hate sibilance but that shouldn't be a problem with the HD650s.

The music I'm currently listening to:

MUSE
Evermore
The Killers
Breaking Benjamin
Michael Jackson
Damien Rice
Dido
Josh Groban
Craig David
Cpop

I'm also a little worried about my amp. Are there many people using the Little Dot 2++/HD 650 combo? I'm afraid that the X-Fi and the Little Dot won't be able to do the HD 650s justice.

And one last thing, does anyone know where the best place to get a pair that ships to Australia? I've seen a pair on Ebay for $319USD which seems decent.

Thanks

Adrian

Sep 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 32
I just did the 595 to 650 switch, very happy. I thought the 595s lacked bass too, the 650s fix this, but not in a big crass Sony bass-boost way.
Only been burnt-in for 135 hours...

Don't know any other answers to your queries, sorry.

Sep 10, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also a little worried about my amp. Are there many people using the Little Dot 2++/HD 650 combo? I'm afraid that the X-Fi and the Little Dot won't be able to do the HD 650s justice.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I use the Little Dot II++ and it works very well with the 650's. Having said that, the Graham Slee Solo is better but also a great deal more money.

I was surprised with the Little Dot and thought that the use of valves would help the sound from my Senns become more recessed at the top. In fact, they work well although I know that some Headfier's have told me that they find it uninvolving. (Whatever that means)

I find that it works pretty well. It is a warm, punchy sound and a really good value buy.

Ian

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 32
The popular thought about 650s requiring strong amping is somewhat true, but they sound great without seperate amplification.

During nightly burn-in I use my bedroom stereo w/MD and they sound great just plugged into the headhone-out.
'Lesser' 580 and 600 drivers are more dependant on amping IMO.

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 32
Get the HD650's only if...

... you have a great CDP / DAC (e.g. Cal Audio Alpha, Monarchy M24, XDAC v3, etc.), and a great amp (e.g. Darkvoice 332, XCAN v3, etc.) to take control of the drivers and make them perform to their capability. And... you'll likely not be pleased, until you upgrade the cable (e.g. Headphile Senn v2 Black Silver, or another silver cable).

You will not be pleased otherwise - just way too dark, slow, boomy and muddy. You have to have the right setup to clear them up.

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... you have a great CDP / DAC (e.g. Cal Audio Alpha, Monarchy M24, XDAC v3, etc.), and a great amp (e.g. Darkvoice 332, XCAN v3, etc.) to take control of the drivers and make them perform to their capability. And... you'll likely not be pleased, until you upgrade the cable (e.g. Headphile Senn v2 Black Silver, or another silver cable).

You will not be pleased otherwise - just way too dark, slow, boomy and muddy. You have to have the right setup to clear them up.

I agree with Gradofan2, these cans need sufficient power and the right equipment to sound their best... and when they do get optimum sound quality, they can rival with the best of 'em.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to say, 'Big Bollocks' to that.

Lol, a user called 'Gradofan' bashing Senns, OMG.

Don't get a Grado, you'll likely be be disappointed. They're very bright and screechy. Also the QC leaves a lot to be desired.

Quick, quote the signature sound of a manufacturer.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 32
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, 'Big Bollocks' to that.

Lol, a user called 'Gradofan' bashing Senns, OMG.

Don't get a Grado, you'll likely be be disappointed. They're very bright and screechy. Also the QC leaves a lot to be desired.

Quick, quote the signature sound of a manufacturer.

I don't think he's bashing anyone or anything. I don't even think he prefers the senn sound signature. However, it doesn't mean he's less accurate on his opinion on driving the HD650's, they do sound sloppy with the wrong setup, and need alot of work to make it up.

Another thing, not all Grados are bright and screechy, only 98% of them are
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 32
^ Just joking.
tongue.gif

I'm sick of the old story. Under-powering 650s doesn't turn them into rubbishy sub $50 'phones.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 32
GradoFan is a Sennlover and quite knowledgeable... He sold me some stellar 600s and knows his modded 580s and 650s very well.

I now have both the 600s (AMAZING) and 650s (great but for sale) and both like good amps but the 650 is unquestionably more finicky and tougher to drive well.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 32
I just get annoyed if anyone even veers towards Senn bashing. I love my 650s.
600smile.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Just joking.
tongue.gif

I'm sick of the old story. Under-powering 650s doesn't turn them into rubbishy sub $50 'phones.

yes... they certainly don't. I was happy with the 650's out of my audigy4 break box for awhile, it was the cheap and efficient fix until i got into head-fi. now i can barely listen to anything with bad sq. what things may change, i turned into a real audio snob... and lovin' it!

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 32
I think Gradofan is full of it. His viewpoint is highly biased, and only applies if you want to try to make your Senns sound like something other than Senns.

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 32
Sounds like a bit of Shakespeare is appropo here!

It's not just my opinion regarding the HD650's... it's most of the other folks on Headfi as well.

Without the right setup they are dark, slow and veiled, compared to a lot of other phones, including the HD600/580's... not just Grados, AKG's, ATH's, etc.

With the right setup... and I do have a couple... they are exceptional - sounding much brighter, clearer, and more detailed... I would say virtually as good as the RS-1's, GS-1000's, or AD2000's (perhaps not quite). You can also achieve that sound with a good sound processor (e.g Aphex 204, etc.).

But... I suspect what we have here is a difference in "taste" - some have less refined tastes in sound (e.g. hip hop, rap, etc.), and other's have refined tastes in sound (e.g. jazz, classical, R&B, etc.).

I simply prefer sonic qualities in phones that complement such refined tastes. But... if others prefer the boom of car audio... "more power to them." But... why waste your money on such expensive phones, which have more potential... when a pair of Koss, or Bose will do just fine?

"Too each his own."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back