Can't set DAC to maximum bit depth and bitrate.
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RonyPony

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Finally getting around to try sort this issue.
I can't set my DAC to 24/384, maximum windows reports is 24/192.

I have the correct ASIO driver from Focal installed
Jp7whMC.png

nJDz2eV.png

RjjiqhI.png

I've tried with 2 different cables and mutable USB ports, currently using the Supra Excalibur.
I'm assuming it's a Windows issue but I just can't figure it out.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 6
You shouldn't be using a 384kHz sample rate with Windows - it would just resample everything to a very high sample rate without any audible benefits. I'd personally opt for 24bit / 44100Hz, since 16bit/44.1kHz is the de-facto standard for recorded audio. The additional bits (24 vs 16) do not do any harm, since a 16bit recording can be fitted into a 24bit container without any rounding or resampling.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello!

Finally getting around to try sort this issue.
I can't set my DAC to 24/384, maximum windows reports is 24/192.

I have the correct ASIO driver from Focal installed
Jp7whMC.png

nJDz2eV.png

RjjiqhI.png

I've tried with 2 different cables and mutable USB ports, currently using the Supra Excalibur.
I'm assuming it's a Windows issue but I just can't figure it out.
You might want to google a bit, it looks like that Focal Arche device software has problems:

"With a connection to a computer via USB, the unit supports PCM with up to 384kHz sampling and 24-bits of resolution and Direct Stream Digital in regular, double and quad speed versions (i.e. DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256). The driver objected to 32-bit audio. For Windows, it’s best to choose the ASIO driver rather than WASAPI. The latter worked with everything except for DSD256."
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/focal-arche

With my devices - and no drivers loaded - I see their full capability displayed in Windows, for example my Topping D90 MQA:
1635056290162.png

When I load up the Topping ASIO driver and set the Bit Width to Maximum 24-bit in the ASIO Control Panel - Format Tab - Output options drop down to 24 bit maximum, I only see the 15/24 bit options, no 32 bit options show - but I still see 384khz options either way:

1635056708296.png

Try uninstalling the Focal Arche ASIO software from Focal, reboot, and see what Windows displays for that Focal Arche USB input :)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Resampling does absolutely nothing except put a larger load on your system. I choose 48Khz/24bit because I have a lot of videos with that bitrate. Also many many major studios record at this bitrate.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Well that done the trick!!
Thank you... the one thing I didn't even think of trying....

Focals ASIO driver sucks ass!!! It crashes when running 24/192, and goes out of sync at anything below that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back