Can't seem to get replies in Full Sized
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've been trying to get some responses in full sized headphones for a few days now and it's just not happening. I'm not sure what the problem is as I've been quite descriptive and given all the information that would be necessary for a response. I've even narrowed it down to a few options and still have had no luck so I'll try here.

In a nutshell - here's my situation.

I listen to a bunch of types of music, but primarily melodic death, prog metal and progressive rock with classical and a few other genres as well.

I have my IE8's which I love but I'm interested in possibly trying out some full sized headphones for more home use and to be used occasionally with my Cowon D2. I will likely not have an amp to use, at least not for a while.

I like both my IE8's and PFE's, although I prefer the smoother, fuller sounding IE8's for sure.

My budget is around $200 but it can easily be extended to $400 if necessary. I would love to get the HD650's but I simply would have no way to power them sufficiently. My computer has a good power supply and a Creative SB Live 24 bit (I have no idea if that's a good or bad card) but I know using them as a portable would pretty much be out of the question.

I've been looking at the Senn HD595's, Grado SR225i's and Ultrasone HFI-780's as they're all around $200. I guess I would probably prefer the IE8's sound but I'm open to trying new things because until you do, you never know.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 19
Grados are a safe bet since they sound good out of any system. I use them with my laptop when I am traveling.

I can't compare any phones to the ie8 because I have not had the pleasure of trying them.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 19
Well, I don't have IE8s, but I just got the IE7s. If the IE8s are in fact what people say they are compared to the IE7s, then I would hesitate to recommend the HD 595s as they are not bass heavy at all, especially with no amp.

Definitely look out for people's comments on Grado and Ultrasone IMO.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Look into the Denons too. The higher-end ones garner a lot of praise on the Internets, but remember that they're closed-back.

Also, dude, the new Shure full-size headphones are scheduled to be released sometime in the summer. (The leak is on the front page of Head-Fi.) They look goooood... and are priced extremely competitively. I'd say look into the top end one, which'll go for $199 I believe.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 19
Although I've never tried the IE8, from what I've read they are polar opposites to the Grado 225. If you really want to try something different, that's certainly one way to go.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 19
I'd recommend grados for metal, as others have mentioned, they are vastly different to the IE8's. But to get the closest thing to the ie8's, it would be best to get a pair of sennheisers (580/600/650). I think if you grab up a pair of hd580's (roughly 160) + a decent amp (approx 200 range) you should still be within your 400 limit. I'm using some portable amps to drive my hd580's at the moment (toggling between a d2 boa and mini3) to determine which one I'll bring with me to my office at school and which I'll sell later. I know that the hd580's are better driven by my home amp, but the portable amps seem to do it justice, just make sure you keep them hooked up to a constant power source instead of battery power (saves on draining your battery).

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 19
Yeah I guess that's true. Some people are recommending the Ultrasone HFI-780's which sound interesting - sort of like a blend between Grado/Sennheiser but I'm not really sure. I've heard the 595's are like a mix as well, more up front than usual Sennheiser models but they may be lacking the bass I would like.

Is it even worth buying full sized cans+amp or just full sized for $400 or less since I have IE8's or would the difference in quality be negligible?

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 19
Quality is an odd term around here. But to lessen a lot of confusion I've started to separate quality into the following because otherwise a lot of what headfiers say just clash and confuse the hell out of me.

Breakdown of Sound Quality
1) Signal
2) Sound Signature
3) Comfort
4) Build and Design

Furthermore Sound signature I breakdown into:
1) Sound stage
2) Accuracy
3) Tone
4) Anything else in terms of the actual sound itself, such as is it bright/warm etc.

Now with that in mind when you compare IEM's to full sized can's you don't really improve in signal quality, but you do improve in terms of comfort and arguably build and design (for example some prefer the isolation of IEMS)

Now onto the Sound Signature. If you are comparing IEMs to full cans, the soundstage will ALWAYS improve, the accuracy of reproduction generally improves and the tone and other musical qualities are usually left up to taste.

Now since we're dealing with the IE8's and the sennheiser audiophile line, you won't get too much of a difference in tone/musical quality, they are both VERY similar. The only real difference you will notice is the sound stage. And from my own experience, there will be a change in the bass response going from the IE8 to the hd650.

By going into the hd650's you will get:
1) Comfort
2) Sound Stage
3) Better reproduction
4) Different bass response

If that doesn't seem like much of an improvement, then I suggest sticking with the IE8's. If you have the extra budget, improve your source by getting a usb dac. After spending a great deal of time on headfi, I've come to notice that the greatest improvements don't come from changing your headphones/amp, but rather changing your sources. A headphone/amp combination can only do so much. Besides there's probably a reason why you went after IEM's instead of fullsized cans in the first place right, don't jump ship just because it looks better on the other side go to a few meets, try things out and focus on what you really want... otherwise join the we has no monies club, and be damn proud of it.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 19
I've got Denon AH-D2000's arriving either tomorrow or Tuesday. I doubt they'll be anywhere near ready to be giving impressions about until, like the IE8's, many hours of burn in are completed. But in reading more on Head-Fi since I bought them I'm starting to wonder if I should have considered the HFI 780 too... or the proline 750. The D2000's are supposed to be quite nice though. I only want closed cans since they'll be used mainly for listening while working, and I won't want to disturb coworkers.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got Denon AH-D2000's arriving either tomorrow or Tuesday. I doubt they'll be anywhere near ready to be giving impressions about until, like the IE8's, many hours of burn in are completed. But in reading more on Head-Fi since I bought them I'm starting to wonder if I should have considered the HFI 780 too... or the proline 750. The D2000's are supposed to be quite nice though. I only want closed cans since they'll be used mainly for listening while working, and I won't want to disturb coworkers.

That was going to be my recommendation, as I was thinking of getting those until I kept reading and from what I have read don't think any full sized can will dramatically improve upon the IE8 (at least in the sub $500 price range). I could be wrong of course and hope to hear some full sized cans at the LA Can Jam.

cn, I am looking forward to your comparison. Maybe you can start a new thread, as I am sure a lot of others will be interested also, and I haven't seen a thread comparing the 2 (but posts in full sized vs. IEM).

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 19
Yeah that's what I'm kind of worried about. There may not be a worthwhile upgrade in the price range, especially unamped. If that's not an option - what's the best deal on the W3's right now and where at? Maybe I'll try those out instead of some full sized cans. They'll definitely sound a lot different than my IE8's (which unfortunately seem to have a driver issue atm, hopefully I can get a new pair asap because my other iems just don't compare)

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's what I'm kind of worried about. There may not be a worthwhile upgrade in the price range, especially unamped. If that's not an option - what's the best deal on the W3's right now and where at? Maybe I'll try those out instead of some full sized cans. They'll definitely sound a lot different than my IE8's (which unfortunately seem to have a driver issue atm, hopefully I can get a new pair asap because my other iems just don't compare)

The UM3X sounds promising also, and are supposed to be cheaper than the W3s . I am waiting to see what people think vs. W3, and hopefully can get a listen at the Can Jam.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 19
I'd wait it out to hear peoples thoughts on the Shure full sized cans. The top of the line model will go for around $200 usd, which is very nice.

Also you can't judge the sound of full size Shure cans vs Shure in-ears. They will be worlds apart I'm sure.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 19
the hd600/650 are a stretch for your budget as you would probably want a cable upgrade and amp to really push them. i have a pair of ie8's and the sound signature is closer to my hd580's then my ath-m50's.

but if you do like the sound qualities of the ie8 you might want to look into the ultrasone and audiotechnica offerings, imho. generally i feel grados are just more upfront and focus on highs where as the sennheiser sound has always been about mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back