Can't seem to find what Im looking for...
Sep 1, 2011 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

evtron

New Head-Fier

Hey guys,

First off long time lurker first time post :D

Been doing a lot of reading and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I thought maybe I could bounce some ideas off you guys so I could wrap my head around it a little bit.

First things first. I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. My budget is around $400 respectively. The type of music I listen to the most has to be EDM but I'm not a HUGE bass head. I do like it to be sharp punchy and definitely noticeable in the beats as well as the grooving bass-lines. The genre of EDM I listen to the most is the stuff that utilizes more synths, mid range bass, pads etc... This is where I've hit my crossroads. It seems like a lot of people when referencing EDM or Trance or whatever just want to throw it to the really bass heavy headphones (PRO900's XB-1000's) and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something a little more. I listen to the genre for those sick synth riffs and I want the cans that give you that super-sonic almost floating in the air feeling where every little part of the synth is detailed and described with an awesome sound-stage (but not to high mind you) but also those and lower synth or rezzy basslines are warm buzzy and groove. All of this packaged with some tight responsive punchy bass.

What I'm certainly not looking for is that boom boom boom muddy bass that takes over everything as I think that wears my ears out after a while but I definitely need it to be there.

I've thought maybe the HD650, D5000, SA5000, or 1000x - but I'm not really to experienced first hand with enough to know what it is.

Well...now that that's out of the way - any suggestions for a noob :)?

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Grado SR325i

Seriously. I can't find a headphone that does electronic music better then a Grado.

Yes Grado are known to be a little bass shy. but the SR325i improved the bass and became more balanced overall.
Grados have the best (meaning tightest and most define) bass you can here. Partly because it doesn't have the BOOMING bass, but a subtle yet noticeable bass.

No amp needed

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Heya,

Ultrasone PRO 750's for $280
Ultrasone HFI 2400's for $298
Ultrasone HFI 580 for $128
Denon D2000's for $219 <- These are excellent for your genre, no amp needed, closed back so can be used anywhere.
Sennheiser HD598 for $180
HifiMAN HE-300 for $299
BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm for $300 <- Also excellent for your genre, though amp is required, open-air so sound leaking may be an issue.
BeyerDynamic DT990 600ohm for $300

Leaves room for DAC/AMP if you don't already have something decent.

Or, above your budget:

Ultrasone PRO 2900 for $550. <- Holy grail of EDM before going flagship.

Very best,

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:

Thanks!

I currently have an e7/e9 combo. My girlfriend actually works for Brookstone so I could get a pretty nice deal on the DT990 600ohms but I'm not to familiar with their strengths or weaknesses. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks!

I currently have an e7/e9 combo. My girlfriend actually works for Brookstone so I could get a pretty nice deal on the DT990 600ohms but I'm not to familiar with their strengths or weaknesses. 

Heya,

Your DAC/AMP will cover all those headphones generously.

The DT990 is a bassy/treble headphone. Good strong bass, but it's not overwhelming the way a PRO900 or XB500 might be for you. It can be considered a little bright. It's weakness are that it can be a little too bright for some, and that the mids are recessed. I think you might like the DT880 better for it's mids and less abundant, yet very present and capable bass. At least when it comes to a Beyer. Otherwise, if you can hold out, check out the upcoming Beyer T70 which is the middle ground between Tesla and the DT series. It's going to be $569 when finally in stock though, so above your budget.

Try the DT990's, if you can return them. Otherwise, since you said you really don't want a bassy bassy headphone, the DT880 would be likely better for you. But your idea of boom boom and my idea of boom boom could be two very different things.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back