Can't locate S/P DIF output
Feb 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DayofCalm

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there,

I'm using Windows 7 x64 on an Alienware M17x R3 that uses a hybrid headphone jack/optical out/S/P DIF port thing. I have connected an optical cable (Toslink to Mini Toslink) to it, with the other end hooked up to my newly acquired Schiit Bifrost DAC. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find out how to utilize the S/P DIF port as the output method. In the mixer, the only output device listed is "Speakers / Headphones", and if I go to Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Manage Audio Devices, the only device that shows up is "Speakers / Headphones" with "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" and "Default Device" right beneath it. 

Where did my S/P DIF output go? :/

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 3
You should see something that has digital output in the name, but sometimes the list in the sound area of control panel gets messed up.  Right click on your default item and make sure you have checkmarks next to show disabled devices and show disconnected devices.  Once you do that you will see all of what is in your computer as far as sound components go.  Then you can set the digital output for your spdfi out as the default.  Hope this helps.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Ah. Apparently it arbitrarily decided to disable and hide my S/P DIF output somewhere along the way and hide the fact that it'd done so. Cool, Wndows 7.

Thanks bixby, I appreciate your help. Problem solved 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back