Can't get used to canalphones
May 29, 2004 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

akellor

Head-Fier
So I dove into the canalphone world and picked up some e3s, my first pair of canalphones. I'm getting a good seal and overall I'm very happy with the sound...also the isolation is better than expected, a little too good actually since my family thinks they're being ignored when I use them. Who would ever ignore their family just to spend some time with headphones?
icon10.gif

My problem is after just a few minutes of listening I can't stand to leave them in any longer. It just doesn't feel right to have something that far in my ear.

Anyone else have this problem with canalphones? Do they take some getting used to for everyone or am I just not cut out for this type of headphone?

May 29, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 13
I'd say that's pretty normal. Give it another couple of weeks and see if you feel differently. It takes a while to get used to the feeling of canalphones, but in the end it's worth it!

May 29, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah, I consider myself lucky, because I bought Koss the Plugs like three years ago as a fluke when I didn't know any better, and struggling with those for a long time made canalphones second nature.
I put etys in perfectly the first time I got them, and every time thereafter.

May 29, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Yep, its normal, after a week or so, that initial discomfort disappears.

May 29, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Great, I'll give myself some more time to get used to it then. I'm glad to hear the discomfort will go away, I'm really loving how all the outside noise gets pushed away so there's nothin' but music inside my head.

May 29, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 13
akellor
HI: If you are using the soft tips they go in a lot farther than the silicon tips. I have found that the harder silicon tips don't go in very far and are way more comfortable. They just go to the beginning of the ear canal and not into it.

May 29, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 13
plainsong
HI: How are you? When I had the E3 and used the soft gray tips they went into my ear canal and keep slipping out on a steady basis. I had to keep pushing them back in. LOL. Then I sold the E3 and rebought the E2 and use the hard tips that just go to my begaining of my ear canal and have no problem with them at all and like the E2 much better than the E3. I hope you and yours are doing great.

May 29, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 13
It might help to experiment with the different tips and sizes. Also, consider the triple flanges, which I think are the most comfortable, but that's just me.

May 29, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Just tried the harder tips again. It took a little practice but now I'm getting a great seal AND I don't feel like I have a Q-tip jammed in my ear anymore. I'm very happy now.

LTUCCI1924
I'm curious, what sent you back to the e2s? I had a hard time deciding between the two myself, mainly because of the deeper bass of the e2s.

May 29, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 13
akellor
HI: I had the E2 and then the E3 came out so I sold the E2 and bought the E3. The E3 had more detail but I used the soft tips and they would slip out a lot and I had to keep pushing them back in. Also I found the E2 to have a more fun sound so I sold the E3 And bought the E2 again. I like the E2 bass better and the fun sound. I also like the hard tips better because they don't go in my ear canal but just to the opening and I find them more comfortable over the E3. In my portable rig I like everything about the E2 and get all the sound my portable rig offers. If I would like better detail I use my main rig with the 595. Also the E2 cost less money and to me are the best bang for the buck. I use the E2 five nights a week for 1 1/2 hours on my portable radio for a talk show and they are great for that use. When I use the E2 with my minidisc I also use the super mini amp V 6.2D. My portable radio puts out 28 m/w per Chanel so I don't need the super amp with it.

May 29, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by akellor
So I dove into the canalphone world and picked up some e3s, my first pair of canalphones. I'm getting a good seal and overall I'm very happy with the sound...also the isolation is better than expected, a little too good actually since my family thinks they're being ignored when I use them. Who would ever ignore their family just to spend some time with headphones?
icon10.gif

My problem is after just a few minutes of listening I can't stand to leave them in any longer. It just doesn't feel right to have something that far in my ear.

Anyone else have this problem with canalphones? Do they take some getting used to for everyone or am I just not cut out for this type of headphone?

1. Choose the tip that is most comfortable for you. I recommend you give the foams a try if you have not done so.
2. Give it some time. I have inserted earplugs for years now, but the first time they felt very weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back