Can't get same fit using foam with Shure E4 - Suggestions
Aug 15, 2005 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Edil

Head-Fier
Hi,

Has been using the E4 for a couple of days now. I tried all sleeves and found that the foam tips provided better fit and comfort. All the others cause me irritation in the ear canal.

Problem is that it seems that the shape and contour of the outer canal of my ears are different, left being little bit bigger, and the foam tip forms a tighter fit and better seal in the right ear. The bass sound unbalanced.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Edil

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 4
erm,
you could pull out the right ear slightly, just enough to break the seal?
have you tried pushing them as far as they go? i find that even though my ears are different, i get balanced sound.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edil
Hi,

Has been using the E4 for a couple of days now. I tried all sleeves and found that the foam tips provided better fit and comfort. All the others cause me irritation in the ear canal.

Problem is that it seems that the shape and contour of the outer canal of my ears are different, left being little bit bigger, and the foam tip forms a tighter fit and better seal in the right ear. The bass sound unbalanced.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Edil

I would try ordering some Etymotic standard foam tips. You can trim them to the right length for you, and they are slightly wider than the Shure ones as well. They also seem more resilient.

I have had luck by actually using the Ety foams reversed after pushing down the foam on the back end and trimming the tubes---the tubes are not really attached to the back part of the foam very securely, just in the front, so its easy to push the foam back. That way I don't have the ends of the tubes poking my ears and I can trim the foams for a good fit. I was a little concerned that the opening would be closed off after insertion when using them this way, but it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 4
aha, i did this, it works well. you could even leave the left ear longer than the right, see how that works + the ety foams look cooler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back