Can't find phones comfortable for exercise walking
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AngusMcToon

100+ Head-Fier
I need some advice folks. I'm pretty well equipped for phones, but simply can't find a good headphone for walking...and I'm doing a lot of walking lately, attached to iPod, iPhone and/or Hornet.

My Shure e500s usually sound good, but I've tried every imaginable tip and can't find a fit that feels comfortable without too many microphonics and too frequently falling out or getting dislodged slighty in ways that degrade the sound. Argh..the frustration outweighs the enjoyment of the music. Ditto ER-4s. Maybe in-ears just don't work for this application, despite my willingness to be really careful walking outdoors with isolating phones.

I've worn out 4 pairs of PX100s and Koss 35s ... they're ok but the durability issues are a bit irritating, and I'd like just a bit more isolation to block car noise a bit more -- otherwise I'm constantly fiddling with volume levels. Phones that hang off ears, like KSC75s, seem to fall off my ears all the time and I wear glasses too.

Any other suggestions? My favorite "home" phones are HD650, Ultrasone Pro 750, ... isn't there anything that can provide my walks with something at least non-horrible in sound, without constantly falling off, too much isolation, and deeply disturbing microphonics?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

AMcT

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 2
I just started a walking regimen in late June (30-45 minutes per session, 2 sessions a day), and jumped into the world of IEMs shortly thereafter.

I own 2 sets of IEMs: Atrio M5 and Xlipsch Image X10. I'll leave sound comparisons out of it, since that's not what you asked about. But of the two sets, and the Sony ear buds I used to use (can't recall the model at the moment; they're at my office), I'm amazed by the comfort of the Klipsch X10. They are tiny and their construction is such that you forget you're wearing them.

The Atrio M5s are big and bulky in comparison.

A bonus is that the Klipsch Ear Gels are abso-frickin-loutely phenomenal. I got my 2 free sets in the mail for registering my X10s and immediately put one set on my Atrio M5s. Happy happy joy joy.

Edit: reread your post... the X10s *DO* have microphonics, much moreso than the Atrio M5. It's the one aspect of the IEMs I find annoying. The sound quality and comfort though, make them my IEM of choice at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back