Can't find headphone output specs of my AV receiver (Sony STR-DB790)
Feb 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DeadMan

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently using a Sony STR-DB790 AV receiver to drive my headphones (Sony MDR-ZX700's). However. I want to upgrade them and am possibly thinking of getting Beyerdynamics DT990 Premiums. I readthe 600Ohm version is meant to be really good but was wondering if my amp can drive them properly. I can't find any specs for the headphone output on my receiver though.

Does anyone here know?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I am currently using a Sony STR-DB790 AV receiver to drive my headphones (Sony MDR-ZX700's). However. I want to upgrade them and am possibly thinking of getting Beyerdynamics DT990 Premiums. I read the 600Ohm version is meant to be really good but was wondering if my amp can drive them properly. I can't find any specs for the headphone output on my receiver though.
Does anyone here know?

Wow, that's a tricky question, if they did work at all, it would not be using the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm in a worth while way (sound quality wise).
If your willing to spend the cash for a 600-Ohm headphone, best to be willing to spend the cash for a separate headphone amplifier to power them.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 7
I knew you'd say that. :)

Maybe I should get the 250Ohm version. Still waiting to hear on how the Pro vs Premium 250Ohm cans compare (They say the Pro's have more bass but I can't find a direct comparison at that impedance).

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I knew you'd say that. :)
Maybe I should get the 250Ohm version. Still waiting to hear on how the Pro vs Premium 250Ohm cans compare (They say the Pro's have more bass but I can't find a direct comparison at that impedance).

With the DT770s, the Pros do have a little more bass then the Premium, it's because the Pro have a slightly tighter champing around the ears (better seal?).
Now as the DT990 are open, so there is no seal to speak of???
Usually the premiums versions (DT770/880/990) are a little more comfortable then the Pros version (I have no complaints about the Pros).
I would say to get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, it's way cheaper (save $145) then the Premium 250-Ohm (or 600-Ohm).
There is a thread on Head-Fi somewhere that compares all the DT770/880/990.

Sell off your "well used" Sony and put the cash towards getting a new Yamaha RX-V667 or RX-V700, Yamahas come with Silent Cinema (surround sound for headphones).
The RX-V667 & RX-V700 are the cheapest Yamahas with the better speaker amplifiers.
Check the website Bountii for the best prices.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I read the 600Ohm version is meant to be really good but was wondering if my amp can drive them properly. I can't find any specs for the headphone output on my receiver though.

It is hard to tell then. A common way to implement the headphone output in receivers at low cost is to power it from the speaker output or some internal amplifier stage through large (sometimes as high as 680 Ohm) resistors. If that is the case, it would actually be the least bad with a 600 Ohm headphone. But there could also be a dedicated low voltage headphone stage, which is better suited for low impedance. If you cannot measure the relevant parameters of the receiver, perhaps it is best to just buy the headphones, and if you are not satisfied with the sound, return them, or get a headphone amplifier.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I finally got an answer from Sony. But am even more confused. Is this good or bad?

Code:
 I'm glad to provide you the information about the specification on the PHONO jack of the Sony A/V Receiver. Headphones can be connected to the PHONO jack of the A/V Receiver. The Impedance of the PHONO jack is 50 kilohms: 86 dB (A, 2.5 mV).

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I finally got an answer from Sony. But am even more confused. Is this good or bad?

Code:
 I'm glad to provide you the information about the specification on the PHONO jack of the Sony A/V Receiver. Headphones can be connected to the PHONO jack of the A/V Receiver. The Impedance of the PHONO jack is 50 kilohms: 86 dB (A, 2.5 mV).

Maybe start up a new thread with this info in the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back