Can't Find Guide for Foobar
Jan 13, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 11
http://ubernet.org/modules.php?name=...iewtopic&t=871

there ya go mate, enjoy foobar!
orphsmile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 11
yeah i found it and got it all setup, man this thing is awesome, i havin a few problems tho... like when i open a program or a game, i stop hearing music and i have to restart foobar for it to play again, and cant have my games running at same time or no sound.. and for a second there after i closed foobar all my sounds were really slow? it was wierd like when u rightclick on desktop and hear the little click, it was all long and low sounding like 500milliseconds long.

oh and when i click buttons, like when i just went to click reply on this page, the sound stopped..

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 11
and i jus went to click play and i got blue screen of death...

does foobar like hate other programs running at the same time? or just any other sound going on at the same time....

-----

hmm and i just went to play another song other than the 1 that was currently playing and got another blue screen....

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 11
ok yeah i got blue screen again i seem to get it when switching to other songs or begin playing songs... ok ill try another output mode, but I really like kernal streaming...

(using av-710 with via drivers)

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 11
I switched it to wave, and dont have those problems anymore. Is there a way to avoid this problems still using Kernal Streaming as output? Perhaps a better soundcard such as the Audigy 2 SZ that I'm getting?

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 11
unfortunately, one of the downsides of Kernel Streaming is that it needs sole control of the output device to function. To be honest, you're best off with the DirectSound 2.0 output driver for simultaneous operation with games, unless your drivers don't play nice with DirectX. I've heard claims of improved output with certain hardware/OS mixtures, but without double-blind ABX testing to back it up, I'm going to chalk it up to placebocustics. (Anyone who has performed such testing is free to refute me, of course.
280smile.gif
)

Just a general tip: if you're asking for technical help on something like this, it's helpful to include system specs, i.e.: CPU, RAM, OS version, relevant hardware model and driver revision (sound card, in this case), installed software versions (foobar and DirectX, here).

And if you think installing an Audigy card is going to improve your musical output...you obviously haven't been here very long.
smily_headphones1.gif
To beat the Audigy-haters to the punch, it sucks for music. Best bet is to get a Chaintech AV-710, and set it up for foobar kernel streaming, and use the Audigy for movies & games--if you MUST have 5.1 surround for these things. Otherwise, forget the Audigy altogether. Going dual-card won't (in this case) add much expense, as the AV-710 can be had for ~$30 US.

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 11
"To beat the Audigy-haters to the punch, it sucks for music. Best bet is to get a Chaintech AV-710, and set it up for foobar kernel streaming, and use the Audigy for movies & games--if you MUST have 5.1 surround for these things."

<Looks at her Audigy 4 Pro> Hmm, maybe you should reconsider your statement, in regards to musical quality and Audigys. And what's wrong with 5.1 and music? I have some lovely DTS and DVD-A music that I enjoy alot. Stupid stereo zealot.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I run foobar2000 in KS Output AND game simultaneously. It's not that KS NEEDS to have solo control of a card; it works like ASIO, and depends on the functionality of the drivers. If you can't use KS and game at the same time, it's a limitation of the drivers. (Cheap drivers for a cheap card, Halbyrd)

Back to topic at hand - you can try using DirectSound (no need for 2.0, that just adds crossfading) with Hardware mixing (if supported). I don't know if the AV-710 supports ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back