Can't find good budget earbuds/IEMs (limited options) - to replace Sennheiser MX375 on IPod 5
Nov 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

greenflash

100+ Head-Fier
First of all sorry if I have some mixed up concepts, I'm not an expert at all in the matter :)

So far I've been using a couple of Sennheiser MX375, earbuds, (previously I had MX660s), specs are 32 OHMS/18-22KHZ/122DB. But now after a year they're showing some issues (hiss, static etc) so I need a change. 

I really like these Senns specially after comparing with some way cheap headphones I bought (mostly money wasted) like the Skullcandy Chops, Skullcandy Ink'd 3 and Panasonic RPHV096. That's what I could get down here initially. The latter ones were slightly better but far away from my MX375, which is bass deep and way loud and quite clear sounding in my limited experience.

So - at this moment after reading lots of reviews on budget headphones (IEMs mostly) and this is what I spotted on my LIMITED local market (both in models and specially in cost!)

- XIAOMI PISTON 3 (used but almost new), very good priced.
- RHA MA450I (new, almost same price, good thing is close to my place)
- SHURE SE215, 3 times the cost of the ones above, new.

Some others according to your tips.. What I want to achieve is a sound that is similar/superior to the MX375 if that is possible at all.

My usage is while conmuting on the bus with an Ipod 5 touch, via local files or Spotify - but planning to quit or minimize the latter for lossless on a FIIO X1 perhaps, instead of the Ipod 5. I also have a Fiio E12A for a different usage that I could get into the mix.

Finally I might consider some "on the ear" unit like the Koss Porta Pros (twice as much as the Xiaomis, new) or the Sennheiser HD558 (the most expensive of the lot).

THANKS A LOT FOR READING!

EDIT: I've not had the most comfy experience with in-ear phones but I'm willing to be a "little tight in the ears" as long as the sound quality is worth it. I bought some expensive Senns (cx300ii) phones and they were total crap, not sure why but they had a strident, harsh sound with little bass. Dissapointed.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 11
You may want to look at the Brainwavz M1 which run $60 or less. It is a very nice sounding headphone with good bass, awesome mids, and pleasantly rolled off treble as to not be fatiguing.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-m1-iem-earphones

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Dec 5, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the tip. Very interesting. Locally I can only find the M5 and the S0 from Brainwavz. Hope the M1 turns up eventually.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Sony Ericsson HPM 62 by far the best earbud I have heard. I have the Senni's, Blox et al (Earphone junkie) they require a plug change so if you are not into that
Sony Ericsson HPM 64 is the next best thing. It has a3.5mm standard plug. A set of foam sleeves (RadioShack or whoever does 10 packs of those for cheap) and you are good to go.
Each of these can be found on the ThievesBay for about 1.99 so really, what have you got to lose?

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 11
I can get those HPM62! I'll give them a try. Even here they're cheap.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Do you want something that isolates or not? If you want an IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone) that is good and inexpensive, then look at the Soundmagic ES18. 

Imo Koss Portapro isn't worth the price. The highs on it are not very good.  For less than half the price of the Portapro, the Koss KSC75 sounds so much better. It has much better highs and better detail. It is also open, and has ear hooks instead of a headband.

Another option for an open headphone that is better than the Portapro is the Sennheiser PX100II. I have the original PX100 and love it. I gave away my Portapro a few years ago.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks JK1 I actually can get those PX100II for a good value (same price as the HD407 and the Audio technica Atht200). They might be good for me, specially if they have good bass; only the Senns have satisfied me in that respect for my limited options. IEMs don't agree with me so far, too intrusive, and full size may be too big to carry. I need now mostly clear sound and acceptable bass as I am now mostly using a fiio X1 instead of the iPod which has a great volume (and sound quality) itself.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks JK1 I actually can get those PX100II for a good value (same price as the HD407 and the Audio technica Atht200). They might be good for me, specially if they have good bass; only the Senns have satisfied me in that respect for my limited options. IEMs don't agree with me so far, too intrusive, and full size may be too big to carry. I need now mostly clear sound and acceptable bass as I am now mostly using a fiio X1 instead of the iPod which has a great volume (and sound quality) itself.

Be careful where you get the PX100II though. I think there are fakes around. Buy only from an authorized Sennheiser dealer you know you can trust.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 11
  Be careful where you get the PX100II though. I think there are fakes around. Buy only from an authorized Sennheiser dealer you know you can trust.

Good point JK1. That happened to me with the Xiaomis (I mean, the suspicion because of the low price) so I found a new offer from a Sennheiser Store (I would like to believe they're bringing in original stuff <grin>) and they're cheaper than the individual sellers, so I might definitely give these a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back