can't figure out how to remove stock grado headband
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
i apologize if this is in the wrong forum, if so, please move it.

i'm trying to figure out how to remove the stock grado headband to install my replacement

JMoney Audio

I'm trying to follow these instructions but don't understand the second part about removing the block...and don't want to break my headphones in the process.

any help would be much appreciated!
o2smile.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 12
The inner steel headband is held in the plastic L/R blocks that hold the post the drivers are connected to by a little plastic tab and some glue. Just follow the JMoney instructions. Once you hear the crack simply pull the metal headband OUT of the plastic block. You can then slide the stock headband off. Once you have the JMoney band installed, simply insert the end of the inner steel band back into the plastic block until you hear a little "snick".

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 12
It's very simple and I just did what I thought I needed to do and it worked. Hold the headband all the way at the bottom where it is conect to the L or R block. Just pull it out and then slide the headband off, very easy. Put the new one on (took me 2 mins) and make sure it's pushed all the way onto the metal (takes a bit of force) and then re-connect the metal back into the L or R block and you're done
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very simple and I just did what I thought I needed to do and it worked. Hold the headband all the way at the bottom where it is conect to the L or R block. Just pull it out and then slide the headband off, very easy. Put the new one on (took me 2 mins) and make sure it's pushed all the way onto the metal (takes a bit of force) and then re-connect the metal back into the L or R block and you're done
smily_headphones1.gif

The glue bond to the blocks can seem unbreakable and can require quite a bit of force. What I did to prevent any damage to the cups and drivers was to remove the small black plastic rod cap and slide a cup/driver completely off the rod. Then I could grip both the block and the metal band with separate pliers and gently twist and pull until the glue bond broke and easily separate the block from the band. Worked like a charm.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 12
wriggling it at the point where the block contacts the band with a upward force will crack the fastening glue fast and easy.

I guess it sounds easy. But don worry about breaking the phone. Just follow the instructions. It will come out easy.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Not at all. Me,of all people, just gave it a shot without looking on how to do it in the first place. Nothing broke, nohing is damaged, everything is fine. You have nthing to worry about, unless you are dealing with an out of producton hedphones that is really, really expensive
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Lol your fingers hurt? It's very easy to do. You will hear a cracking noise then it will just come out of the L or R block. If anything, your bicep should hurt but even that's dumb, it shouldn't take that much force.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The glue bond to the blocks can seem unbreakable and can require quite a bit of force. What I did to prevent any damage to the cups and drivers was to remove the small black plastic rod cap and slide a cup/driver completely off the rod. Then I could grip both the block and the metal band with separate pliers and gently twist and pull until the glue bond broke and easily separate the block from the band. Worked like a charm.
bigsmile_face.gif

this is what you wanna do.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 12
When searching around the internet on how to remove the headband, this thread came up first in the list. I tried...to the point that the abductors of my thumbs hurt. Then I applied heat (=hairdryer) to the plastic block. It came off easily.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Just my 2¢, for future reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back