Can't decide :(
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Monkeytofu

New Head-Fier
I've recently gotten 200 dollars as a gift to spend on anything and I decided I'd buy a new pair of headphones around 100 dollars (give or take) and narrowed my list down to:

Denon AKD1001K
Seenheiser HD555
Audio Technica ATH- M50
Sony MDR -V6 / 7506
Audiotechnica ES7
AKG K 172 HD
-possibly something else from AKG because I love how they look

I don't have access to anything offline so all I can go by is reviews online and most of the reviews I find don't really go into much detail. I Don't have a powerful amp but I do have lowest of low, a fiio E3 so being able to go unamped is great. My sources are a cowon s9 , a CD (very rarely), and a computer's on board audio when I play games. I'll be mostly be using them with my S9 and listening to music. My music is mostly rap and other bass heavy genres with other songs scattered in different genres including metal, techno, pop.

Any suggestions/input is great.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 12
I second the Denons. I own them, although I listen to other cans most of the time. They can be had for $100 or less brand new and out of your list, bass is really strong with the Denons.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd go for the HD 555, I have a pair myself. They are great for a wide variety of music and sources, from trash mp3s on a lousy players to top audiophile gears with lossless audio recordings. Great for movies too. I own a pair of AudioTechnica AD700 also, which are strong for acoustical and classical music, but personally I prefer the Senns HD 555 overall, more dynamic sound.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 12
For those genres and your Cowon S9, I'd pick an Ultrasone. They go very well together.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 12
I sent an email to ultrasone asking why I'm not getting the 40% promo they have for the month of June for 5 different headphones, will come back with an answer sometime tomorrow. But if the promo is still up, you could consider the HFI-680 for $150 shipped at ultrasone.com because they're doing a promotion for June but it is either over early or there's a bug in their website. I'll try angry customer tactics on them if they say its over early though hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back