Can't decide which one to get..... HELP!
Feb 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SKilleT

100+ Head-Fier
Okay I know I posted some threads regarding the Beyerdynamics but please I am confused and tired and I just want to get the perfect headphones so please bare with me !

Long story short is that I tried the DT770 PRO-80 and they distort at high volumes. I then realized that they distort because of my amplifier that comes with the Creative Sound Blaster Z 600OHM.....

I tried the DT770 PRO-250 and they have 0 distortion. The BASS pressure felt heavier on the left side so I exchanged it and the replacement got the same problem so I returned it for a refund.

I then got the DT990 PRO-250 and the sound is amazingly good but for one problem.....the female vocals in trance music are piercing... and if i lower the highs in the EQ the instruments doesn't sound as good so I returned it too.

Now I am looking for headphones that have similar bass to the DT990 and same sound but without the harsh highs.....

So I started asking questions here regarding the DT880 and what I came to conclude is that its bass is good but not good for Trance/House/Electro music....

Now I know others might suggest other brands but the Beyerdynamics have amazing build quality and within my budget ~$200 and have the super comfy velour pads that sits right around my ears.Now where can I find a decent headphones for $200 with velour pads and good bass other than Beyer ? IMPOSSIBLE !

Now you guys tell me what to do :frowning2:

I really can't decide..... I might just buy again one of the Beyers the DT990/DT770 and just live with them.....

Another problem is that the Sennheiser HD 598 have low impedance so I think it will distort at high volumes just like what happened with the DT770 80OHM.... because my amplifier is 600OHM and you can't adjust the gain.

Thank you all and I hope I didn't bother you with my questions everywhere !

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
Now I know others might suggest other brands but the Beyerdynamics have amazing build quality and within my budget ~$200 and have the super comfy velour pads that sits right around my ears.Now where can I find a decent headphones for $200 with velour pads and good bass other than Beyer ? IMPOSSIBLE !  

So how exactly do you know this? What other brands have you tried? It really doesn't matter because brand name means little in headphone-dom... it really comes down to individual products.

Let's see. Comfortable, velour pads, good bass, no sibilance, $200. Sounds like the HFI-2400 if you ask me.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 20
A Matrix M-Stage has an output impedance of 5ohms. A Fiio E9 has an impedance of 10 ohms. I've never heard of your sound card but surely it does not have an output impedance of 600 ohms.

Anyway, it's not doing you any good by cutting yourself from 99% of the headphone market by insisting that they need super high impedance. Here's a suggestion - get a budget amp like the Fiio E09K and use the line-out on your sound card. Problem solved.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 20
My sound card is not an amplifier, it's a DAC with a dedicated amplifier that has 600 OHM.

Here is a quote "[size=small]3.5mm gold plated headphone jack driven by the 600 Ohm Maxim MAX97220 amp"[/size]

[size=small]I am new to these stuff but I knew this because the DT770 80OHM used to distort at high volumes and the DT770 PRO-250 didnt distort at all and sounded much better.[/size]

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 20
As I said, I really don't know much about your particular sound card, but you don't need to stubbornly insist on using its headphone-out if it's causing distortion issues. Hook it up to an external amp and you can just utilize your soundcard's internal DAC.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 20
It's not the problem with the Line Out or something.

I tried it with 3 different sound cards with 3 different AMPs and all have the same because they have the same high impedance 600OHMs.

I even opened threads before regarding this issue.

I am not stubbornly insisting on using that but it's just a fact that when I use the 80 ohm it distort when I use the 250 ohm on both the DT990 and 770 it never distort at all.

Also I don't want to waste more money since I already paid $120 for the SB Z.....

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 20
Return the SB Z then.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Feb 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
Quote:
Return the SB Z then.

Haha, so blunt, I like it.

Quote:

[size=1.7em] V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition[/size]

What do you guys think of these ? Is it similar or better than the DT770 ?

I've heard that they are bass monsters. But more importantly, how will the Crossfades solve your issue? It is a very easy-to-drive headphone, wouldn't it also suffer from the distortion issues you're having?

Yes, that is why he should return it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Then do as viralcow said and add an external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back