Can't decide what to keep.
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

silent-circuit

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a few different headphones, and more on the way. Compared to many here it's probably a small selection, nothing super high end, but a few. Lately I've been getting the nagging feeling there's a lot of overlap here, some that simply do everything (or at least most things) better than others, and keeping 8+ sets doesn't make sense. Earlier today I sat down and, using Tidal lossless / master quality tracks I'm familiar with as reference, tried to figure out exactly what it is I like about each set.

20200907_211453.jpg

Will try to give impressions, most curious to hear from other owners what their takes are, as I tend to second-guess myself.

For the time being, from left to right: HiFiMan HE-4XX, AKG Q701 (Dekoni pads), Sendy AIVA, Audio Technica ATH-R70X, Phillips Fidellio X2HR. Outside frame, Koss ESP/950 (Dekoni pads), Martin Logan Mikros 90 (Brainwavz pads), Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser EH-2200.

I've also got Denon AH-D7200 coming, largely because almost everything else I own is open back. So yeah. Need to cull.

Thoughts on these? What to keep, what to sell on?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 13
I'd drop either the Senn EH-2200 or ATH-M50, since you probably only 'need' one full-size closed-back that doubles as a portable headphone.
Maybe even do away with both, since neither of them are spectacular headphones and I can only assume the Martin Logan Mikros do most of the portable heavy-lifting.
Or out of the 3, just keep the one you use the most for isolation/portability.

The HE-4XX should stay as a 'reference' headphone. - build your 'collection' around the gaps around this headphone.
I havn't heard the Sendy, but I'm not sure if it fills any gaps either.
Q701 could stay because it's a soundstage monster.
ATH-R70X could stay ... depends on how different it is to the Q701.. maybe they're too similar and one can go?
Fidelio X2HR - if you like it's madness, it's V-shaped and crazy enough to fill a gap.
Koss ESP/950 - can stay because electrostatics are fun, but depends how much you use them. Apparently they're not perfect and stats are the most cumbersome to use.

Generally, the rule is keep the ones you use the most.

In the end, you'll likely be swayed just as much by comfort and style as you might be by the sound presentation.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 13
The HE-4XX should stay as a 'reference' headphone. - build your 'collection' around the gaps around this headphone.
I havn't heard the Sendy, but I'm not sure if it fills any gaps either.
Q701 could stay because it's a soundstage monster.
ATH-R70X could stay ... depends on how different it is to the Q701.. maybe they're too similar and one can go?
Fidelio X2HR - if you like it's madness, it's V-shaped and crazy enough to fill a gap.
Koss ESP/950 - can stay because electrostatics are fun, but depends how much you use them. Apparently they're not perfect and stats are the most cumbersome to use.

Generally, the rule is keep the ones you use the most.

In the end, you'll likely be swayed just as much by comfort and style as you might be by the sound presentation.

The eH-2200 got destroyed in storage (things shifted in the box it was in and crushed / twisted the headband) so it's done. Too bad, as they were one of my first sets years ago and I had a sentimental attachment, but no great loss in terms of sound quality or utility.

I once loved the ATH-M50 but (I guess) have outgrown them. They get almost no play and will probably be left at work in case I need headphones to listen to an online presentation or something.

The Mikros 90 is uncomfortable and I don't really care for them. It's a shame, because they look very nice, are reasonably compact, and are easy to drive. They would make a great portable option if they didn't crush my skull and sound mediocre. Apparently they have something of a cult following here. I'll probably be selling them soon.

The Sendy AIVA is more detailed / resolving / brighter than the HE-4XX, much more comfortable despite being heavier (/way/ better headband design) and better built all around. That said, it's a little bass shy compared with the HE-4XX or ATH-R70X which are both fairly flat (I tend to prefer a flat sound signature), so I'm not sure what it's "purpose" is.

I like the sound signature of the 4XX but find it less than comfortable so don't listen to it all that often. I actually have two pairs after RMAing and forgetting to return the first set, then realizing the issue was with the cable not the phones themselves. One has 2.5mm connectors at the earcups, the other 3.5mm. Now that I have balanced cables with both terminations I'm definitely getting rid of one, but I'm going to listen for differences for a few days first.

I don't listen to the Q701 all that much any more as they're in bad shape (the pivot point on one side is broken and barely holding together) but will probably keep them as a reference. They're worth little to nothing as it stands. I never considered the ATH-R70X might sound similar, but I guess that makes sense now that you bring it up. They don't have the soundstage of the Q701 and are a little less colored but over all, similar. The R70X are my most comfortable set right now and very neutral, so they'll be staying.

The X2HR are interesting for some things and leak a lot less sound than the ATH-R70X, making them more suitable for Skype with friends and that kind of thing. Yes, they're V-shaped and bass heavy, but much better behaved than the ATH-M50 over all, and "fun" sometimes. I like a "clinical" tone most of the time; these are the exception. They're also not /that/ "crazy" to my ears.

If I really like the Denon AH-D7200 I could see selling the X2HR, but based on reviews I'm concerned about comfort with the Denons, where I can wear the X2HR for hours without issue. Will see.

The Koss are their own thing and will stay if for no other reason than that.

So much for the great cull... Maybe the AIVA (though it hurts to even think about it -- they're so pretty), definitely the Mikros 90, maybe the M50 (though I'd have to replace pads and at that point what are they worth?).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I think you will enjoy the AH-D7200, it's really a great all-round headphone.
Only the soundstage is a little small, but the tuning is damn near perfect.
It's also more forgiving than the slightly more trebly D9200.

Aftermarket pads for M50 can be bought for around $5 on eb@y, and the quality is about the same.
Just takes 2-5 weeks to arrive from China.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 13
I think you will enjoy the AH-D7200, it's really a great all-round headphone.
Only the soundstage is a little small, but the tuning is damn near perfect.
It's also more forgiving than the slightly more trebly D9200.

Aftermarket pads for M50 can be bought for around $5 on eb@y, and the quality is about the same.
Just takes 2-5 weeks to arrive from China.

Now I see the Focal Elegia is on sale for $400 at Adorama and am tempted. :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Now I see the Focal Elegia is on sale for $400 at Adorama and am tempted. :frowning2:
Oof... that is tempting... I've only heard the Stellia, which was 'perfect'.
One would hope that the Eligia is 'almost perfect' considering trickle-down tech.

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 13
Keep the Aiva but pick up some Brainwavz XL Hybrid pads for it. Basically makes them better in every way in my experience. Gives them a more spacious soundstage and gives them MUCH more bass impact and presence.

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Keep the Aiva but pick up some Brainwavz XL Hybrid pads for it. Basically makes them better in every way in my experience. Gives them a more spacious soundstage and gives them MUCH more bass impact and presence.

Good to know, will definitely do that.

Oof... that is tempting... I've only heard the Stellia, which was 'perfect'.
One would hope that the Eligia is 'almost perfect' considering trickle-down tech.

Yeah, I gave in. Figure I'll either love them and it'll help motivate me to sell some other things on... Or I can wait a couple weeks till the sale is over and sell them for about the same to someone that missed it. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 13
The eH-2200 got destroyed in storage (things shifted in the box it was in and crushed / twisted the headband) so it's done. Too bad, as they were one of my first sets years ago and I had a sentimental attachment, but no great loss in terms of sound quality or utility.

I once loved the ATH-M50 but (I guess) have outgrown them. They get almost no play and will probably be left at work in case I need headphones to listen to an online presentation or something.

The Mikros 90 is uncomfortable and I don't really care for them. It's a shame, because they look very nice, are reasonably compact, and are easy to drive. They would make a great portable option if they didn't crush my skull and sound mediocre. Apparently they have something of a cult following here. I'll probably be selling them soon.

The Sendy AIVA is more detailed / resolving / brighter than the HE-4XX, much more comfortable despite being heavier (/way/ better headband design) and better built all around. That said, it's a little bass shy compared with the HE-4XX or ATH-R70X which are both fairly flat (I tend to prefer a flat sound signature), so I'm not sure what it's "purpose" is.

I like the sound signature of the 4XX but find it less than comfortable so don't listen to it all that often. I actually have two pairs after RMAing and forgetting to return the first set, then realizing the issue was with the cable not the phones themselves. One has 2.5mm connectors at the earcups, the other 3.5mm. Now that I have balanced cables with both terminations I'm definitely getting rid of one, but I'm going to listen for differences for a few days first.

I don't listen to the Q701 all that much any more as they're in bad shape (the pivot point on one side is broken and barely holding together) but will probably keep them as a reference. They're worth little to nothing as it stands. I never considered the ATH-R70X might sound similar, but I guess that makes sense now that you bring it up. They don't have the soundstage of the Q701 and are a little less colored but over all, similar. The R70X are my most comfortable set right now and very neutral, so they'll be staying.

The X2HR are interesting for some things and leak a lot less sound than the ATH-R70X, making them more suitable for Skype with friends and that kind of thing. Yes, they're V-shaped and bass heavy, but much better behaved than the ATH-M50 over all, and "fun" sometimes. I like a "clinical" tone most of the time; these are the exception. They're also not /that/ "crazy" to my ears.

If I really like the Denon AH-D7200 I could see selling the X2HR, but based on reviews I'm concerned about comfort with the Denons, where I can wear the X2HR for hours without issue. Will see.

So much for the great cull... Maybe the AIVA (though it hurts to even think about it -- they're so pretty), definitely the Mikros 90, maybe the M50 (though I'd have to replace pads and at that point what are they worth?).
I don't have any experience with any of the headphones you have, but I hate clutter and love culling the excess out of my life.

Here's what I would do in your position: first, stop buying new headphones! Don't even look at the ads in your email or at vendor websites! You're only making your decision harder for yourself.

Second, make three stacks of headphones: a) the ones you definitely want to get rid of; b) the ones you're unsure about; and c) the ones you definitely want to keep.

Third, make the unequivocal decision to get rid of all the headphones in stack "a." For me this often means getting rid of it at whatever cost, sometimes letting things go for free or tossing it in the trash if it's really junk. Be ruthless and honest with yourself: don't keep headphones you don't like or don't use "just in case" or because "maybe you'll change your mind someday." It's kinda cheesy, but if you need to, Mari Kondo it: thank it for its service and whatever it's provided for you. This helps me clear out old gifts and whatever I keep around only for sentimental reasons.

Fourth (this is the hard step), put the headphones in stack "b" in a box in storage out of sight. If you're stuck deciding between two headphones, choose the one you're more inclined toward and move it to stack "c;" the other stays in "b." If you find yourself really wanting/needing one of the headphones from this box, you're welcome to them at any time. Otherwise, if you find after a few months that you haven't been missing any of them, then it's time to move them along.

Fifth, enjoy the headphones you have!

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 13
...stop buying new headphones...

Yeah. Not going to happen.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Almost forgot:
They're broken and you don't use them. Get rid of 'em.

You don't use them. Get rid of them. Better to get something you actually want to use for work.

Obvious. Get rid of them.

HE-4XX vs. AIVA vs. ATH-R70X. Pick one and put the others in stack "b" for storage.

Don't listen to the Q701? Get rid of 'em. You don't come outright and say it, but it sounds like you prefer the ATH-R70X; you've said nothing bad about those headphones.

Keep these. They seem to fill a unique role in your lineup.

Not gonna touch this since you haven't even heard these yet.

Good. Keep 'em.

Nonsense! I just got to down to two or three headphones! You're welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back